Suggestion: Discord server?

I am aware that there is a dedicated IRC client for this site but I'm wondering... would it benefit of having Discord also? For those that don't know what that is, it's an instant messaging client that has a lot more features and more flexible to use and better, more "modern" when compared to IRC itself which is slowly becoming a thing of the past and, some inconveniences with it too (such as having to keep the IRC client open just to keep connected to a server). It's also very popular from the past year and that people prefer it over Skype also. It's pretty much the best thing in recent years since sliced bread really. I had spoken to SomeGuy about this personally just to see what he thought but I think it's better to put up a thread about it here for others to have their say on it, even from Duff or Calvin when they see this.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here is already a user of Discord but if we can have more users on it whether existing or new, the better chances for it to come to existence. That doesn't mean that it should fully replace the IRC though as I heard that it's been around for a long time and that there's some folk that still use it (maybe not as much now but, I don't know). Just a little change of scenery you know :)

Comments

• No. Discord's client is irredeemable gamershit garbage.

• @Bry89 For my own edification, what are the advantages of Discord for someone who has no interest in voice chat? How is it better than other similar products? What makes it "modern"?

Also, it's pretty easy to stay connected to IRC without a client open. Bouncers are the obvious answer, but services like IRCCloud also facilitate this without the need for an always-on computer or VPS.

• edited January 2018

Although I don't use IRC much myself, one of the technological nice things about IRC is that it is highly cross-platform. If it weren’t for the encryption requirements on the server Winworld uses, one would be able to connect to IRC from DOS on an 8088-based IBM PC/XT using mTCP. IRC is also not a centralized service - anyone can set up an IRC server. (That is one of the reasons people should be scared about depending on Twatter and Facefook, you are dependent on one single company).

• @Totengeist said:
    @Bry89 For my own edification, what are the advantages of Discord for someone who has no interest in voice chat? How is it better than other similar products? What makes it "modern"?

You don't always need to use voice chat to use it. As for the other things, I can't really answer them as I've only been a user of it for a few months. What I can tell you is that you can have individual conversations with anyone faster, in which I don't think you can do under IRC (unless somebody comes along to prove me wrong). Plus, it really is the go-to for chats these days and it doesn't have to be gaming-based, even though Discord advertises itself as this.

As for the IRC thing, I guess that's only happening to me because I'm using mIRC... lawl. Better get something more worthwhile I suppose :P

• /query on IRC for private messaging. Bouncers to maintain presence.

Oh, and it's not a server - you're an SaaS tenant. (And if I really wanted SaaS chat, I'd be considering Slack.... or even Microsoft Teams before Discord. I have more words for this, but nothing else needs to be said)

• @Bry89 said:
    I am aware that there is a dedicated IRC client for this site but I'm wondering... would it benefit of having Discord also? For those that don't know what that is, it's an instant messaging client that has a lot more features and more flexible to use and better, more "modern" when compared to IRC itself which is slowly becoming a thing of the past and, some inconveniences with it too (such as having to keep the IRC client open just to keep connected to a server). It's also very popular from the past year and that people prefer it over Skype also. It's pretty much the best thing in recent years since sliced bread really. I had spoken to SomeGuy about this personally just to see what he thought but I think it's better to put up a thread about it here for others to have their say on it, even from Duff or Calvin when they see this.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone here is already a user of Discord but if we can have more users on it whether existing or new, the better chances for it to come to existence. That doesn't mean that it should fully replace the IRC though as I heard that it's been around for a long time and that there's some folk that still use it (maybe not as much now but, I don't know). Just a little change of scenery you know :)

I think it is a very good idea, especially for those who got banned from the IRC and want to go back and are ignored by the moderators. (I am one of them and Skora is the one ignoring me.)

• @windowsfan said:
    I think it is a very good idea, especially for those who got banned from the IRC and want to go back and are ignored by the moderators. (I am one of them and Skora is the one ignoring me.)

Is it possible you got banned for good reason? Bugging someone after they ban you is generally not a good way to get unbanned. Source: I'm an IRC op elsewhere.

• @calvinb said:
    No. Discord's client is irredeemable gamershit garbage.

yes

• edited January 2018

@Totengeist said:

@windowsfan said:

Is it possible you got banned for good reason? Bugging someone after they ban you is generally not a good way to get unbanned. Source: I'm an IRC op elsewhere.

To make a long story short, I insulted one of the moderators (varu) for a silly situation and i got banned. But then I got unbanned. But a few days later, without a warning, I got banned again for no reason. I just want an explanation. That's it! But everytime I ask Skora about this, he just leaves. Is it really hard to give me an explanation?