Windows 1.0 Beta

edited December 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows 1.0 Beta

Read the full story here

Comments

• Work's on Wendin Dos?

• @Silver said:
    Work's on Wendin Dos?

Probably not. Windows 1.0 is an MS-DOS executive, which means that Windows 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x would mostly likely work on only MS-DOS systems (not other DOS operating systems).

• @JonathonWyble said:

@Silver said:
    Work's on Wendin Dos?

Probably not. Windows 1.0 is an MS-DOS executive, which means that Windows 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x would mostly likely work on only MS-DOS systems (not other DOS operating systems).

They do work on PC-DOS, but otherwise it might not work.

• https://winworldpc.com/product/wendin-dos/211
    Wendin DOS is a clone of MS/PC-DOS that runs on 8088 machines, but offers multitasking on 386+.
    Try it and see what happens.

• edited August 2018

This Beta Build was shown Science Vie Micro Magazine on 05-1985. There could been another Windows 1.0 beta build between Windows 1.0 Alpha and 1.0 Beta because Windows 1.0 Alpha do not have Paint but Windows 1.0 Beta do have it. This Beta Build look like it between Windows 1.0 Alpha and Windows 1.0 Beta.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2pt4b9l.png

• can someone make a VMware archive?
    i can't install it correctly, i have problems like: the disk inserted in drive ": is not disk #".

• @VicWith3Numbers said:
    can someone make a VMware archive?
    i can't install it correctly, i have problems like: the disk inserted in drive ": is not disk #".

Impossible. Use 86Box or PCem. Also, read wininst.bat and you will find the requirements.

• @ComputerHunter said:

@VicWith3Numbers said:
    can someone make a VMware archive?

Impossible. Use 86Box or PCem. Also, read wininst.bat and you will find the requirements.

Windows 1.0 Beta can run VirtualBox. Use PCem for Windows 1.0 Alpha.

• As my knowledge, I would say that this version is the last version from Windows 1.x that supports VirtualBox. Run the setup on MS-DOS 3.30.

• To install Windows Beta on a directory, you must make a directory in the command prompt. Then, on the part where it asks you for a directory you must put the name of the directory you just made. The Windows Beta setup will NOT create a directory for you, if you put a non-existent directory, then you'll get a error that says ''General Failure error reading device AUX''.

• To install Windows 1.0 Beta propelly, follow my steps:

• Make an Windows foleder (for example WINDOWS)
    • Make sure you have MS-DOS 2 up to 4
    • Install it
    • Enjoy!
  • Do not run "PAINT.EXE". If you run it, it'll crash your system and you'll need to restart it. Windows Beta is a bit buggy, by the way.

• You mean Windows freezing sometimes when you start Paint? That happens to me, but most of the time it works fine.

• @DeFacto said:
    You mean Windows freezing sometimes when you start Paint? That happens to me, but most of the time it works fine.

How? Everytime I run it, the cursor gets stuck on a invisible rectangle and I can't do anything.

• Emulator/hypervisor, hardware config, DOS version you're using?

• My memory is a little fuzzy, but I was under the impression the problem with Paint was just some kind of environment configuration issue. Check that it is installed where it should be, check that you are launching Windows from the path it expects, check that the PATH variable is set right, you might also need the TEMP variable set properly, and try increasing the FILES= line in your config.sys.

• That could be the case. Unfortunately we don't have any official documentation that likely accompanied these releases, so it's often hard to figure out what the required configuration actually was.

• @DeFacto said:
    Emulator/hypervisor, hardware config, DOS version you're using?

Emulator: PCem v16.

Machine: WinBIOS 486.

Graphics: Hercules.

DOS Version: MS-DOS 2.11 (NCR OEM).

Mouse: Microsoft Serial Mouse (2 buttons).

RAM: 8 Megs.

• @Netcliff Try using the Windows 1.0 Beta Release VGA Display and PS2 Mouse driver from here.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11500/offer-windows-1-0-beta-release-vga-display-and-ps2-mouse-driver

• @jonirob said:
    @Netcliff Try using the Windows 1.0 Beta Release VGA Display and PS2 Mouse driver from here.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11500/offer-windows-1-0-beta-release-vga-display-and-ps2-mouse-driver

Thanks!