PC Paintbrush Plus 1.x (Win)

edited September 2021 in Product Comments

imagePC Paintbrush Plus 1.x (Win)

ZSoft PC Paintbrush is a bitmap drawing program visually similar to

Read the full story here

Comments

• "… early version of what became the Windows 3.x Paint program" – I guess this is a mistake. This program was called Paintbrush there, too.

Overview:
    Windows 2.x bundles Paint, originally a mouse training program developed by Microsoft.
    Windows 3.x bundles Paintbrush, which bears the same name and obviously is the same product, made by ZSoft.
    Windows 4.x (95, NT, …) bundle a modernized *clone* of Paintbrush made by Microsoft, again called Paint.
    With the move to ribbons (7/8/10?), Paint is "modernized" back to resemble the first version from the 80's.
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected the description. I used to think the 95/NT version was at least based on the same product, but apparently that is not the case.

Also: once again, loudly barfs at Microsoft's awful ribbon interface.
  • There is a long history of Z-Soft at https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/the-history-of-microsoft-paint/ as Mark Zachmann recalls it.

The ribbon interface does not make sense with the simplified applications like Paint or Wordpad. There aren't enough commands to require hiding some until needed.