Regarding the Quickbooks 4.0 files

I'll plead ignorance here. I found your file to download the floppy set to install Quickbooks 4.0.

https://winworldpc.com/product/quickbooks/4x-win

I have a user that has a licensed copy on the old XP PC and wants to install it on the newer computer but has no disk(s). The download appears to have 7 floppy disk images and 2 text files. I grabbed 7zip and I can see the img files and text files but have not been smart enough to make anything usable from the image files. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• Be sure to read over our "Formats" page
    https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/10444/winworld-archive-format-information

We generally recommend WinImage for opening IMG files. Once opened, Winimage lets you either write the images to real floppy disks, or extract the contents.

Now, many floppy based installers expect to run only from floppy, but in this case you can extract the contents of each disk image to a single folder, and run the program's INSTALL.EXE.

Keep in mind this is a 16-bit Windows 3.1 application. It should run on the 32-bit version of Windows 10, but on any 64-bit Windows you will need to use an emulator or virtualizer to run it.

• Dumped disk iamge of Quickbooks 4.0 for Windows has no problem to install on Windows 3.1 PC.

Here is file listing and screenshot of installation for Quickbooks 4.0 for Windows.

(I use 86box emulator with 486 PC configulation.)

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/177806#Comment_177806
  • Thanks for the info- i'll get a look at WinImage and see how that goes. Strangely enough i had another client come in same day with an xp box wanting to move to Win10. He had QB 5.0 on cd and although the install caused an error, i was able to ignore it then set the program to run in compatibility mode for xp sp3 and it runs on win10 x64... or seemed to. i only restored a backup and checked the check register so far but no errors so it seems promising.
  • Hmm, the version of Quckbooks 5.0 that we have is also a 16-bit Windows 3.1 application. But it would not surprise me too much if there were also a 32-bit version of it out there too. Perhaps the CD-ROM release was different.
  • Yes this version from the floppy images looks like it may be 16 bit and doesn't want to play nice.

I'd like to find an option that will work but it may be what happened between qb4 and qb5...

I have a compressed version of the qb5 basic that I'll share if its helpful but it looks like I may have to try Virtual Box etc to get this client happy...
  • The part I didn't see coming was that we get QB to install ok then (this is still version 5 Basic) it pops a screen "Call Intuit to complete Registration". You get a person (in Manila?) that says your license number does not appear in their records.

The client bought the software and has the license number but if we cannot conjure the "Validation Code" we are sunk. Seems criminal that they require the code then withhold it to keep us having to come buy new. This is used at a farm and they had no reason to need a new version but what choices do they have?
  • Ouch. I've only tested that the versions on Winworld install and run. I guess they nag or shut down after so long without the registration code?

Unfortunately some kinds of registration/activation turns vintage software in to nothing more than pretty coasters.

If their old computer is running, you might try sucking the brains out of the hard drive and running that in a VM.

Although I have had the displeasure of using copy protected software that actually somehow serialized itself to the motherboard. When the motherboard died and the tech replaced the board, I could not run the software I needed to do my job anymore. Vendor didn't support the software any more so client support could not re-install. I think they wound up repairing the original motherboard and putting that back in the machine to get the software running again.

That kind of shit should be illegal. So should a lot of other stuff.
  • I totally agree that a list of things should be illegal- but even if it was its only enforced based on who is in charge...

You did give me an idea though. On my "old QB running on XP clients" I was thinking that I'd have to create a new VM and then I'd have the same issue with installing/activating... But if I can take a working xp PC and slurp that into a VM and import/run that on a newer PC over top of say Win10 that may be a great idea. I'll look into this.

I typically clone legacy to ssd drives or failing to new ssds so I'll have to get smart enough to make a VM from an existing PC