Can " Virtual Machine" be unsed to install windows

edited January 2007 in Software
Hey guys sorry for asking these questions, its just that im wokring on this project that will allow me to boot to dos and then use windows as you would normally see on a dos -windows on a 386 or etc. but i never heard of virtual machine, what is , what does it do, is it somewhat like a emulator or soemthing. and can i also install dos 6.22 with it. thanks alot guys,... Justin.

Ps: i will be glad to share this project with you guys if it works and im pretty sure it will. :D

Comments

• Ok, a virtual machiene is basicly a computer inside another computer.
  • Well, it's generally believed to used for these purposes...
  • does anyone know where i can get it i did a goolge for it but all i found was links to java script virtual amchine
  • You want to go to MS's site and type "Virtual PC trial" into the search. Get the trial, then your all set.

For VMWare.....I'm not sure. You need to buy it I think.
  • A virtual machine is just what it is - a virtual machine. It is an emulator actually.

Say I'm running WinXP on a 2.8ghz Pentium 4. I install the virtual machine software and with it, I can run DOS to whatever OS (including another WinXP) within the virtual machine program.

Its pretty fun to play with.
  • Yeah, just like that... mind also it will eat a huge amount of RAM...
  • Well, I've noticed that VPC doesn't eat as much ram as VMware does.
  • It does eat up RAM and slow down your PC. I don't recommend running Win98 or higher on a VPC without 512MB or more of RAM
  • its only gonna take up as much ram as you tell it to
  • true but still....

if i have 512MB of RAM, the most it can use is 100MB or so less then what i have so therefore it would use 408RAM. (thats what mine says).

The more RAM, the better.
  • most i can have is 85
  • I think its a percentage
  • 60%?? maby
  • It does eat up RAM and slow down your PC. I don't recommend running Win98 or higher on a VPC without 512MB or more of RAM

Most ram I can use in VMWare is 768 mb.
  • Isnt it the amount of free RAM?
  • I'd recomend a fast cpu also... I've tried VMware and VPC on my mini... not sure why, but it gave the thing something to do all night... and all I was doing was trying to install windows 98 for kicks.
  • Wow, your Celeron must suck, NT4 installed on my 400MHz, 98 was a bit laggy though.
  • Well of course, a strong, fast CPU and alotta RAM and VPC will fly..just need good system specs.
  • well guys thanks for the suggestions, i installed dos and thne windows 3..11 wfw on it and allocated 32 megs of ram for it and it runs great , performance lags alittle thought but i dont need it now ive managed to get this up and running , i had to mod a 6.22 boot disk so that its boots with as minimal settings as possible and give cd rom support. then the second disk has windows 3.11 core files and the other disk/cd roms has game and junk i use. It has a coupl error but this was the first time i ever tried to do this so its expected. thanks alot guys for your help.
  • anytime....glad you got it to work. If performance lags, you can lower the RAM for Virtual PC to use...
  • IBM, I ran 98 in VPC from windows 2000 on my mini... I think at the time I only had 128MB of actual ram.
  • W@W That must of been like hell becuase lets say you give your virtual machine 32Mb, then you got 96Mb for 2000. little too less
  • My amount of free RAM is often 50-60Megs, but before running a virtual machine, I first run Ram Idle.
  • I am using VPC on my P4 2.4Ghz,1GB RAM,on my Windows Vista
    It does fucking up all my RAM,And One time when I install Windows XP,it is as slow as a cow,and wasting my time...
    NT4.0 is quite cool on VPC...
  • BUMPING
  • TOPICS!!
  • every topic on this place is old, who cares
  • God damn J, Double Posting is bad enough, but Quadruple Posting?

Quadruple Posting is worse than reviving old topics.