Sound not working.

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Yeah drivers install with no errors, everything is just as I set it up on any other 2003 install. But no sound is being put out by the card. It seems like a hardware fault but I'm sure it could be just as much of a software issue.

I have Windows 2003, the card is AC'97 Realtek audio on an ASUS AM-97. Worked good in another PC with XP so I somehow think it's 2003's fault.

Kind of need to get this working since it's the only PC that'll run my capture card since my other PC is a laptop and my server is shitty.

Comments

• Check that the windows audio service is running, afaik, that's disabled by default.
  • Yeah it's started.
  • I know this sounds lame, but are you sure the sound out device is plugged into the correct port? Almost 9 times of 10 when mine doesn't work it's because I screwed that up.

-Q
  • Tried all ports, I think the card is imcompatible with Windows above XP SP1 because the sound stopped working after upgrading to SP2 but I never looked into it and parted the box shortly after to steal the mainboard. Pretty pissed but I guess I could install XP. :|
  • Try running dxdiag, it nothing else the tests are fun to run.

-Q
  • dxdiag will play the sounds. Everything works as it should except I can't hear anything.

And when it was in the old PC, it worked as it should. Weird, as if 2003 doesn't like it yet I think my old mainboard had the exact same card and I've used a few other AC97 cards with 2003.