Dell Laptop Issues

edited March 2007 in Hardware
One day I was using my Dell Latitude D600 in bed, with a Cardbus Wireless card. One day it dropped, and it couldn't find the card anymore, boom, instantly like that, I didn't do anything. Since then, no cardbus cards I have plugged in have recieved any power. I have dissassembled the machine and found nothing to be wrong. All the pins are in the right place and none are bent. What could be wrong, besides dell laptops being a peice of shit?

Comments

• Do you have any other PCMCIA cards you could insert to test the slot?

-Q
  • Replace any part(s) that you suspect to be acting up. I know it's bad advice, but that's all I can suggest.

-Alexander Zarach
  • Q: I have tried a Cardbus LAN/Modem and another Wifi card I had, no luck.

Alex: I don't wanna put any more money in such a shitty laptop.
  • So you're saying that the PCMCIA slot receives absolutely no power at all?

-Q
  • (1) Either replace the 'shitty laptop'
    ...or...
    (2) use it without replacing the slot.

There are no free options apart from (2)

-Alexander Zarach
  • Other then disassembling it and checking it out with a VOM and seeing if you can turn up a loose connection or anything.

-Q
  • Strange, I worked for a large American company here, and I liked the Dell Lattitude 600 series, they were quite reliable.. And I have seen a couple of them which were very badly treated.

Maybe your wireless card fucked up your cardbus controller, but your D600 has a mini-PCI slot, so you could get a mini-pci wlan card off ebay or something. Go for the Intel 2200BG or something, really cheap, and they're great cards.
  • The C600s were LOUD when the fan was on, the D600s were fairly thick.

^ My 600 series complaints.
  • I couldn't tell if it was loud or not, I always used them while sitting next to a dusty Cisco 2600 series switch.