OH NOES (XP boot sector)

edited March 2007 in Software
I'm running XP Home SP2. I force-shut-down the computer last night (hold power button for 5 seconds) since it always takes about 2 minutes to show the actual shut down dialog. Now, when I rebooted this morning, I get an MBR error, like so:
XP's MBR wrote:
Disk read error
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot
I haven't done anything to change the disk configuration. No applications were misbehaving (Firefox *was* acting a little funky last night, but that's because of a borked theme). Right now, I'm running from a Damn Small Linux CD. The partition doesn't appear to have any errors, since I can mount it just fine under DSL, browse files, etc. I've tried fixboot. Any ideas?

Comments

• OK, so I managed to hook up an older 20GB drive - the original for this machine. I hadn't used it since the beginning of February.

Damn. 5400RPM drives are fucking slow. Either that or it's not recognizing all my RAM. But at least I'm back in a Windows environment.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I tried that. Same result.
  • No partition table errors. I'm kinda out of ideas. :| I'd hate to have to reformat and reinstall.
  • Try booting from a Linux Live CD, and accessing the HDD from there. (Yes, Linux may stink, but this could be the life saver you are looking for).
  • Linux would do the opposite of saving the HDD
  • Linux 0wns you, Tomogotchi...
  • What's extremely odd is...there are no physical errors on the disk, at least ones that stop my from accessing the partitions! Hell, I even play Doom 3 from the installation on that drive!
  • JuleOS wrote:
    Linux 0wns you, Tomogotchi...

I'm "Tomogotchi" now?
  • JuleOS wrote:

you dont even use linux, quit whoring it.
  • BOD wrote:
    JuleOS wrote:

I'm "Tomogotchi" now?

Whoops, my mistake LMAO :P
    JuleOS wrote:

you dont even use linux, quit whoring it.

Err yeh I do, got KDE etc. installed as a useable system on my other PC.
  • OK.

Calling me "JewOS" is *extremely* offensive. I don't find this very amusing as it's discriminative towards Jewish people. Please stop it before I get someone to do it for me :) I've asked nicely first by the way.

Before you start, Tomogotchi is not discriminative to any religion, nor is it racist.
  • /me ignores all comments made from Tomogotchi from now onwards...
  • Wow, that exact same scenario happened to me. I woke up one Saturday morning and out of the blue my installation was bad. And get this, after I reformatted and was downloading SP2, all of a sudden XP shows up with Hard Drive Error. It shuts itself and on reboot, BOTH (not 1) drives were dead. They weren't spinning up or anything. So I have to run on Knoppix until I fix it. One I'm getting warranty on and another I'm looking for a replacement logic board so I can get the disks to at least work. Cause If I don't there goes almost 1 month of Photoshop work...
  • THREAD.

IS.

TWO.

YEARS.

OLD.
  • nightice wrote:
    THREAD.

IS.

TWO.

YEARS.

OLD.

Who cares?
  • Well firstly it's annoying...Ironic that eh?
  • I have to admit, my annoyance at this thread having been brought up is less then that of some of the responses due to it.

And keep in mind that there are WHOLE SECTIONS of this forum that haven't had a post in two years due to the huge post gap. To someone not familiar with the history of this place, it can be easy to miss.

-Q
  • Yeah, I thought the admin just forgot to set the date till then lol. Sorry lol it was on the first page.