Can I set up a CD to install windows 3.1,DOS etc

edited March 2007 in Software
I have windows 3.1 on several floppy disks,also DOS 6.2. If I copy the disks to a CD can I get the/any install program to recoginise the different disks on the CD?

Comments

• Sure it will. Just extract all files from images into the same directory.
  • Yeah sure, heres how you do it

make a folder on your hdd.

in that folder make a directory called win31

copy every file from every win31 image into the win31 directory.

do the same for every other dos or windows in another directory.

then use a dos bootdisk and make a menu system in it (TcH your batch skills can come in handy now), make a bootable cd and put all the content in that main folder you created and wolah a bootable cd with a menu to select what u want to install.
  • Yeah, using system meny is pretty good in such situation.
  • If I create a DOS boot disk and copy that to a CDROM with Menu. Can I then Boot directly from the CD without floppy disk support. If I change the Bios Bootup sequence.
  • As long as you specifically create the CD as bootable, then yes.
  • Anonymous wrote:
    If I create a DOS boot disk and copy that to a CDROM with Menu. Can I then Boot directly from the CD without floppy disk support. If I change the Bios Bootup sequence.

Ok, I can help you with a boot menu. First of all, can you tell me where on the CD where the setup folders are, and tell me what versions of Windows and DOS you want to include?

Thanks, if you want to email me: cmputerman2000@gmail.com
  • I think I want to make a spiffy old os cd now... I have TCPmetas old dos and 3.11 cd, maybe I'll take his batch files from it, fix the things that didn't work, and add options to install other windows versions. I think I couldn't get 1.x to install from cd though, it had to be copied to the hard drive and have the setup run from there.
  • I did come across a live CD that has Windows 1.01 through to 3.0 on it... not as good as installing directly but convenient if you dont want to give up your NT based os ;)
  • Heh, some years ago I was fond of making such ISOs, I still have a couple...
  • oh don't forget.... you can't put all of dos's files into a folder and run the setup from it. You can however make a batch to run sys.com then copy the rest into a directory.
  • You can install DOS and Windows from a cdrom, but use a boot dos disk. Upgrades work better than OEM releases.

Put the DOS files into a single directory. You should copy both IO.sys and msdos.sys (or ibmdos.com and ibmbio.com). These are normally hidden system files, so you should reset these attributes as well. Some cdrom software does not like this sort of stuff.

Windows can be installed to the cdrom by either copying the files to a single directory, or setup /a [which also extracts the files].

To set the files up on the hard disk, run setup from the appropriate directories. Note that if you don't use the DOS utilities, you can just SYS the disk, and copy the required files that you do use.