WindowsXP 3.11

2»

Comments

• Ho, Ho, Ho! The retard once again comes to show his igorance!
    2. - package system on slackware that doesnt resolve dependencies...
    - well if you had any type of intelligence you would be able to view the README/INSTALL/HOWTO documentation as you compile from source instead of just doing your full 4gb install of suse/redhat.
    a packaging system forces you to install dependencies that ARENT ALWAYS NEEDED. it wastes hard disk space ..... kind of like how windows does.

First, they're called dependencies for a reason -- you need them. However, you are also correct in the fact that a lot of package management systems like to install a lot of crap they don't need. But this is where your ignorance truely shines you dumbfuck I stated I use Gentoo, incase you didn't know (moron) Gentoo uses the portage system. If you were to type the command: emerge -pv gnome-light

you'd get a list of everything that it's going to install --- woah, wait a minute, it's trying to install arts and kde-base because kde-base is a dependancy?

USE="-arts" emerge gnome-light

yaaaay, no more arts and KDE-base, you fucking retard!

Do you have a response for that Capt Hotshot? or are you just going to ignore it?

I'm not going to bother responding to anything else because apparently you're only able to focus on one point in a post :)

I'm not from New York, btw.
  • EVERYBODY STFU
    The whole point of the thread was to show off an interesting way of using XP, not argue about window managers. So let's get back on topic.

Anyway, do you seriously expect someone to use progman as their primary shell? Sure, it's a cool idea at first, but after a while...eh. Starts to get annoying. Also, you can't minimize to icon, because it appears that the minimize-to-icon code from 3.x was replaced with minimize-to-mini-titlebar.
  • OMG I see nothing has changed during my absence... such stupid and pointless threads continue...
  • Thats because Q appears to have left and I just dont moderate the place.
  • The administration is crumbling, here comes anarchy...
  • Not really, its just an unmoderated environment. If it went to the poasting of kiddy pr0n id start deleting it, but insulting others doesnt have to be deleted ;p
  • BTW sorry for offtopic but where's Q?
  • I dunno, but he's on AIM quite a bit so he is on the net, just not here.
  • opt1k wrote:
    im happy with it, all the functionality is still there, the operating system does what it needs to.....
    I wish you were a little further along, I'd love to
    have it if I didn't have to build it. I'd like some
    way to switch back and forth and some way to
    have it boot up to it or not. I'd love to see
    someone's face if they booted up my computer
    while I wasn't there. Does it read NTFS?

Oh, you shouldn't mess with inflated egos,
    there's nothing to gain.

Thump

PS: I miss Q.
  • Thump wrote:
    PS: I miss Q.

Currently he is deeply involved in college work..... therefore doesnt use the computer much.
  • Thump wrote:
    Does it read NTFS?.
    Yes.
  • thump were you talking abotu the 3.x XP?

it's just XP with program manager as the shell and some 3.x skin
  • Yep, pretty much. I can see people using that if they REALLY want performance. No offense, but why would you upgrade to XP if the performance is bad enough to have to run like that? I got XP mainly for the sexy look (which I replaced with the patch uxtheme lol).
  • You could go further. Windows 3.51 has 32-bit cardfile.exe, pbrush.exe, pifedit.exe, and Windows 4.0 has winfile.exe. All of these work well under Windows XP. The pifedit.exe actually edits the NT style pif edit files.

Write.exe from any version seems to be win3.1 16-bit stuff.

W
  • I got 98 to escape from the slowness.
  • Too bad 98 has tons of bluescreens hidden around every corner and in every nook and cranny, which is why the 9.x kernel was dropped for the NT kernel which is FAR more stable.
  • I still think the 9x kernel would be in use if Millenium hadn't been so bad. But I know the NT kernel is much more reliable.
  • I seriosuly doubt it.

MS got rid of it for a reason.
  • Well, they would have gotten rid of it soon. I guess ME tried to push 15 year old software too far. It's like expecting a 286 to run Counter-Strike. But I think Microsoft could have held back a bit on the stuff in Me. There must have been something (other than poor coding) that killed it.
  • I suspect the fact that (If I remember right) there wasn't much added between the two (System restore I think was the big one).

-Q