CPU Fan problems

BODBOD
edited March 2007 in Hardware
I got my new motherboard earlier today, however there seems to be a problem with the CPU fan conectors, one of the CPU's fans doesnt work and the other is really dirt and dry so I'm going to find some WD40 in the morning, the problem however seems to be that the connecters aren't getting any power.

I took the fan off my celeron and put it on one of the PIIs it worked, then I added the second CPU and it didnt work, and now I can't remember what I did to get it to work, the only problem is I cant naviagte the BIOS becuase not long after switching the machine on the overheat protection kicks in and kills the power.

I've emailed the seller to see if he knows how to "make" them work. I'm probably missing somehitn really obvious as it's 25 to midnight over here.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Use some rubbing achoal on it or poslish remover. Do not use WD-40! That will make it rust and carode.
  • Make it rust? WTF? (fail) its oil, oil does not make things rust.

Anyway, I just glued some case fans onto the heatsinks, the fan connectors didnt seem to be supplying any power.
  • I dunno, but me?I wouldnt use WD-40 on it LOL
  • Well it does have a habit of spraying Wd-40 all over the case when the fans start up...
  • BOD wrote:
    Make it rust? WTF? (fail) its oil, oil does not make things rust.
    WD 40 is a slickery product but it also has a
    penetrating abilty from some additive that is
    corrosive. It's not as bad as penetrating oil
    or liquid wrench but it's still corrosive.

Thump
  • If the fan is a chipset fan, and measures 40cm diagonally, think about getting a chipset fan (possibly the ThermakTake Orb?) (my ASUS K7V-266 motherboard had a similar problem, causing my computer to crash), and replacing the Northbridge fan solved all of my problems. It was fairly difficult, but you don't exactly have much to lose (the fan costs
  • If the fan is a chipset fan, and measures 40cm diagonally, think about getting a chipset fan (possibly the ThermakTake Orb?) (my ASUS K7V-266 motherboard had a similar problem, causing my computer to crash), and replacing the Northbridge fan solved all of my problems. It was fairly difficult, but you don't exactly have much to lose (the fan costs
  • <Sorry. Idiot Explorer caused the message to be submitted twice>
  • I don't see what your browser has to do with double posting, heh i've been using IE 6 for the last week and i haven't had any double posts
  • Do what I did:
    server.jpg
    Been running for about a month and a half like that.
  • haha a make shift big-ass cpu fan......

or you could just buy a new fan..... how much could they be?
  • That's looks retarded. To the max.

(fail)

Just spend fucking $5 and get a fan.
  • $4.49. :bulb: I'm cheap and lazy. Plus, it makes for a good example of something extremely ghetto.
  • I am going to buy some new fans, but I spent all my money on the board in the first place...
  • Is there a 30 day warranty on the board, or is it voided already? Who is the Manufacturer of it?
  • i got a qwick fix for ya, if it is one of thoes wierd fans where if you pop off the back sticker there is a rod thingy, then pop off the cap ring that is holding the rod in and then pull the insile out bu the blades. then just cleen all of the contactsand stuff. then wipe some lamp oil over tha magnets in the blades and over the e-magnets and the rod. i say lamp oil because it is slippery and it wont corrode and it is viscus. i did this to a couple of fans already and when you put the blades back on they DO stay in place, and they work fine, as long as your fan dosent spark or get super insanely hot, which is very unlikley. trust me on this, i have like 4 anchent comps,literly 18 years outdated!!!!! :!: and i assure you that you dont need to worry about your fan's blades taking off in mid use because unless your fan magnets arent powerfull enuff to get it up to speed within 30seconds then the magnets will be attracted to the e-mag's coils. IT DOES WORK!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

I got rid of that machine 2years ago.
  • May be useful for other people (Like me) with troubl(ing/ed) fans.

-Q