ide config/hp vectra vl 400

edited March 2007 in Hardware
i have no idea what the hell is up with my vectra. i took out the secondary hard drive (since i have 2) and installed another one from another comp to install an os from the inside. when i did this it booted the os on the forgen drive and then i shut it down after i had figured it was seet as the master. then i set it to slave and tried booting, the comp said os not found. so i figured at that point that i was a dumba$$ and took out the master. so i put in the master and it gave me the same message. i have tried every config for the 2 original hard drives but nothing works and i know and am 120% shure that the herddrived are fine but i dont know why it wont boot. i am using windows xp home, i have installed the os on bolth hard drived seperatly. the comp is an hp vectra vl 400. anyone know whats going on?!?!?!? :!:

Comments

• When you were changing the drive settings, did you check the CMOS to see if it had any boot settings other then just "Hard disks" ?

Also, can you just insert the original hard disk with Windows and boot with that or is it not refusing to work correctly?

-Q
  • yes i did. and the cmos was configured for the hard disk setup. and i tried to boot from the original but it dosent even say that there are any hard disks connected and i checked the wires and everything and they were working fine. i also cant boot from the cd or the floppy. :!: :!:
  • i was reading this oter post for this dude who screhehehehehehewed over his comp. and tried to format a compressed drive. then i remembered that i compressed my primary hdd. yah. kinda got a tincy little problem though, cuz i dono how to decompress the drive without windows cuz i compressed it in the properties thingy. what i dont get is that my secondary isnt compressed and it has a copy of windows xp on it, so why dosent it work.
  • author switch from guest to sergentsiler. :!:
  • signing off!
  • guest wrote:
    then i remembered that i compressed my primary hdd. yah. kinda got a tincy little problem though, cuz i dono how to decompress the drive without windows cuz i compressed it in the properties thingy.

That was just the under the hard disk properties ("Compress this drive to save disk space") correct?

-Q
  • author switch from guest to sergentsiler. :!:

Necessary to tell us?
  • Not necessary to reply too. He's been told in RC to not post things like that.

-Q
  • that is correct that i compressed the drive in the drive properties. and i just wanted everyone to know that i was the author and not some wierd guy replying as the author. and is it realy necicary to double quote me?!?!?!?