Vista 2x?

QQ
edited March 2007 in Software
For some STRANGE reason, Windows Vista thinks that I have two monitors, one "(Default)" and the other "Generic PnP" (Which is what Device Manager calls it). Anyone else have this or know how to get rid of that one?

-Q

Comments

• Does your graphics card have two outputs? or a tv out?
  • It has VGA, which I use, and this thing that looks like an old ADB or PS/2 port.

I'm kindof puzzled as this didn't happen on XP.

-Q
  • That'd be an S-Video port. Which is probably why it thinks there's two monitors connected.
  • Sounds like its VGA & S-Video

XP didnt do it since XP didnt natively support all those things ;)
  • So... is there any way to tell windows to NOT wait for me to plug something into it?

-Q
  • Why bother? Its not like its using any CPU cycles. Mine always shows that I can do two monitors, but I just leave it. Actually, I havent even really thought about it untill now.
  • That doesn't go far to explain the Dell having 5 of them.

-Q
  • THAT I cant explain, but thats XP.
  • Ahh, OK.

It does remind me of having to fix a laptop that 98 thought had two monitors. We ended up just disabling the other and leaving it at that.

-Q
  • hi, Q! and yes, This is an S-VIDEO port, but depending on the graphic card, it will always have open that port to stay ready for a cable....
  • yea thats an S-Video or super video port. For output to tvs. I have that too, i got 2 generic pnp monitors. No big deal. and no you cant remove it.
  • Most laptops and graphics cards with another putput have that auto config'd with Windows. But that Dell with 5 monitors, unless it's like a multimedia graphics card, then maybe a driver issue? Or did you try installing the monitor 5 times?
  • anantha92 wrote:
    yea thats an S-Video or super video port. For output to tvs. I have that too, i got 2 generic pnp monitors. No big deal. and no you cant remove it.
    there are an image of that cable that I have for my FX5200.... (it`s very difficult to obtain) But i only get one monitor on my properties page (it doesn`t add an 2nd. monitor in my Image Properties, nor even if I connect it to my tv...) and it performs very well....
    SVIDEO%20a%20RCA.jpg
  • i cant seem to get shit displayed on my tv, i just see a blue screen i've tried about 50 cables and they all dont work. ITs only for the s-video out, my plasma tv has no problem recognising my dvi though, thats something else.
  • Anantha92, for get the s-video working, I reccomend these easy instructions:

1) connect the cable.... S-Video to TV or S-Video to S-Video into the computer and the TV accordingly..

2)Put the plasma in the correspondent mode that it will use the S-Video or the RCA ports (Video IN, AV 1 or 2 or S-Video IN or S-Video 1 or 2, or someting equal).....

3) Locate the icon of the nVidia driver in the notification area, (it looks like an green recangle with an black figure). right-click it (in XP you will hear the "hardware detected" sound) and in the menu that will appear, it must appear an new sub-menu
    : "Values of configuration of screen of nView"

4) Go to this sub-menu, inside this sub-menu you will have 4 more sub-menus it will say: "Clone","horizontal Expansion", "vertical expansion" and "Single screen" or "One Screen".....

5) into the 4 submenus there will be two options TV and Monitor..... or in the expansion ones TV+Monitor and vice versa...... click in one of those options and it proves until finding that way you want to see in your TV.)

I hope that it serves to you, any doubt, PM it to me :) i post these instructions beacuse i have to do these when i decide to connect my PC to my TV
  • Yea thnx i have an ati card, so i just clicked on the ati icon in the taskbar instead. Its a bit weird since i have a s-video to rca converter then a rca cable taht goes straight to my tv. When i switch it to av3 ( tahts the channel i connected it too) i for about 1/2 a second i get a disorted black image. Im doing on my normal crt tv, is it compatible or do i have to use a hd set?
  • AhahhahahH!!!! I SUCCEEDED! Totally inadvertently, but I SUCCEEDED!

-Q
  • edited March 2007
    anantha92 wrote:
    Yea thnx i have an ati card, so i just clicked on the ati icon in the taskbar instead. Its a bit weird since i have a s-video to rca converter then a rca cable taht goes straight to my tv. When i switch it to av3 ( tahts the channel i connected it too) i for about 1/2 a second i get a disorted black image. Im doing on my normal crt tv, is it compatible or do i have to use a hd set?
    I think, yes but if you use an HD set I recommend to you use the S-Video or DVI cables instead of RCA converter... (in S-VIDEO and DVI, the text looks better than in the RCA converter...) anyway go search if your ati have an "control panel" like nvidia 8) and there try to configure the "properties of tv-out" or something like that :) i use the RCA in an CRT TV too... (in an Noblex 20" DupleVoz; it supports NTSC, PAL-N, PAL-M; it`s tri-norm 8) ) so I think there are someting going wrong on your tv-out card config. :roll: try changing the TV-OUT norm, to PAL-N, then NTSC... :lol:
  • Q wrote:
    AhahhahahH!!!! I SUCCEEDED! Totally inadvertently, but I SUCCEEDED!

-Q
    To connect it to an TV or get away that "ghost monitor" :lol: ???
  • The latter, now Windows only shows one monitor!

-Q
  • FedeVista wrote:
    I think, yes but if you use an HD set I recommend to you use the S-Video or DVI cables instead of RCA converter... (in S-VIDEO and DVI, the text looks better than in the RCA converter...) anyway go search if your ati have an "control panel" like nvidia 8) and there try to configure the "properties of tv-out" or something like that :) i use the RCA in an CRT TV too... (in an Noblex 20" DupleVoz; it supports NTSC, PAL-N, PAL-M; it`s tri-norm 8) ) so I think there are someting going wrong on your tv-out card config. :roll: try changing the TV-OUT norm, to PAL-N, then NTSC... :lol:

Nah i set everythihng right but nothing on my tv, strange thing is that the tv plays every ps2/ps3 wtv input i chuck into it. I got a hd set in my living room, but its a pain to carry my cpu outside lol.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    FedeVista wrote:

Nah i set everythihng right but nothing on my tv, strange thing is that the tv plays every ps2/ps3 wtv input i chuck into it. I got a hd set in my living room, but its a pain to carry my cpu outside lol.
    :lol: it`s a pain, but please get more info on the ati website or in the help files or in the user`s manual that came with these video cards

:!: Or the cable is broken, or somehing is going bad. :?

the cable works easily for my (just plug and activate the tv form the nividia icon, and VOILA! Movies or games on my tv, it looks in movies as an DVD, and in games BEST than playsation 2 :roll: )
  • Q wrote:
    The latter, now Windows only shows one monitor!

-Q
    :D happy to hear that Q 8) !!!!
  • hwy thanks fede, maybe it is my cable or maybe my tv.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    hwy thanks fede, maybe it is my cable or maybe my tv.
    yeah it can be both issues; and sorry for not getting working the thing. (PC in the TV looks nice :) )
  • for now ill jsut stick with my plasma since that is miles better anyway, since it supports 1980*1080 support.
  • BOD wrote:
    That'd be an S-Video port. Which is probably why it thinks there's two monitors connected.

Mine has something called grid vista and tats something to do with 2 monitors. I also have a S-Video. Im going to hook it to my 32' LCD TV.
  • wht cant you use DVI doesent most Lcd's support it?
  • Mine doesn't unfortunately...