fake a resilotion

edited March 2007 in Software
i have a old laptop and the screen can only handle a maximum resilotion of 640x480.
is there a way to fake a higher resalotion? somethink like: 800x600?

the laptop specs are:
intel 75Mhz 486
16meg ram
win95 b
screen max resalotion is 640x480

Comments

• You can't get any higher than that. One thing you can try is if you aren't using the drivers for the video card inside the laptop, you could possibly get 800x600, unless you are dead sure that 640x480 is the highest you can get.
  • The bigger question is why you want to do that?

If it's to try and run an application of some sort, there may be ways around it. If it's just for the kicks, or whatever, then you might be stuck.

J
  • If the screen is rated for 640x480, you won't be able to increase it.
  • If theres only 307,200 pixels, then its impossible to move higher, unless you have some gay scrolling thing going on... which is completely retarded anyway.
  • In some laptops you could probably trick it to go higher if the LCD actually SUPPORTS anything higher. M

If it's an old laptop, the LCD probably doesn't support anything higher. Also since it's so old your video card is probably some 512 SVGA so making a higher res will just give you shitty colors.
  • i have a old laptop and the screen can only handle a maximum resilotion of 640x480.
    is there a way to fake a higher resalotion? somethink like: 800x600?
    You could probably fake a higher resolution by taking a print
    screen from a machine with a higher resolution and using it as
    your wallpaper on the desktop and hide the icons. You probably
    couldn't fake much without a lot of trouble.

It's probably got such a small screen that you wouldn't be able
    to see it well anyway at a higher resolution.

Thump
  • why dosent he just install matrox? it has hi res screen sets built into the software and it dosent matter what type of screen he has, i have a sh1tty pre svga monitor getting less than 600x650 res and the matrox program works great. the monitor is standard issue with the packerd bell paxk-mate x-20 from 1989 and i slapped it on an xp with matrox and at first it had vertical lines everywhere and it displayed three screens like intertwined or something then i took a higher res moniter and installed matrox and dummbed down the refresh rate and increased the res and then slapped my anchent monitor back on and it worked great. (i got a high res monitor from my moms computer when she wasent home so i had to put it bak before she found out.)
  • LCDs are *fixed*. If it only support 640x480, he wont get it going any higer without it panning.

BTW, paragraphs?
  • i didnt say that he could get higher res, but it will allow him to fake it. now i gota shut up cus i got the admistrators pissed so yah.
  • Screen reso's only go upto about 640 on coms as old as that. The lcds have a max, if it goes above taht it would show up as a blacks creen since it does not support it. Do you want to really move it up or fake it to say thats its at 800?
  • An LCD has a fixed number of pixels, and therefore a fixed resolution. Anything HIGHER than the native resolution will result in side-scrolling, anything lower will result in scaling, which will make the image displayed appear blocky/pixelated.
  • ka0s wrote:
    An LCD has a fixed number of pixels, and therefore a fixed resolution. Anything HIGHER than the native resolution will result in side-scrolling, anything lower will result in scaling, which will make the image displayed appear blocky/pixelated.
    HEHEHE, i configured the computer of my cousin with an 15" LG LCD monitor, it natively supports 1024x768, but when I took it to the res that I actually have in my philips CRT 15" (1152x864 @ 60hz.) The image looked well, but the text appeared pixelated and illegible.

In my 15" CRT, the res from 300x240 to 1152x864 looks very well :)

there are one advantage of CRT`s: Supports (with the correct configuration) any resolution without problems with text:).-
  • USing a CRT on any resolution apart from it's native is bad for your eyes :P
  • BOD wrote:
    USing a CRT on any resolution apart from it's native is bad for your eyes :P
    it`s bad, not using an CRT on any resolution that's not the native will increase the number of "cathodic rays" that monitor`s dissipate????

or It`s an joke :) when I use the CRT, I use it on the resolution that I mentioned above and my eyes are safe :) and i think CRT`s don`t have an "native resolution" as LCD`s.... beacuse they can accept any res., but only limited to an specified number of hz. (depending on the res.). I.E: If your CRT monitor supports 1024x768 @ 60hz., you can use an few number of other res., but but without going of 60hz. :)
  • No I mean in terms of the text will be too small and you're squinting to see it, thus being bad for you eyes.
  • HA, sorry if it`s of that annoying issue, i`ve solved that, I changed form "Display Properties" and "TuneUp 2007 WinStyler" the size of the text in: "Inactive/Active Windows, icons, etc..) and configured IE7 to ALWAYS show the pages in BIG text (from the "Size" button that it`s in the "Tab Bar", but you have to activate it for show). So, for now that`s no matter, the text looks as I were in 1024x768 (the "native res." of my monitor :)