Project Star Trek

edited March 2007 in Software
Was looking around and came across this old Apple attempt to run Mac OS on a 486. Anyone mind elaborating or telling if it's possible to obtain?

Comments

• There are DOS 68K emulators, but I don't know if they work.

-Q
  • Wipeout wrote:
    Was looking around and came across this old Apple attempt to run Mac OS on a 486. Anyone mind elaborating or telling if it's possible to obtain?
    It wasn't an attempt, it was achieved back in 1992 including porting many of the other applications but during development, the CEO was replaced by Spindler who had no forethought and had the project canceled to dedicate all of Apple to the development of System 7 for the PPC.

If you do indeed find a copy of the original Project Star Trek (Boldly going where no Mac OS has gone before), I would definitely like to see if it can be run in a virtual machine.
  • Yeah Q, I've used emulators for a few years now. I just wanna try something different. Unfortunately, the OS was apparently never released to the public.
  • I have a suspicion any company of reasonable age could make a minor fortune selling copies of old OSes to their fanbase. Someone bought the Amiga ROMs and is doing that, Apple could do it with "Copeland", Microsoft with Neptune, etc.

Nothing on the order of millions of USD, but it could create some corporate goodwill and press.

-Q
  • Now my question is why is it called "Project Star Trek"? tongue.gif

-Kirk
  • I guess cause the slogan was something to do with Star Trek:
    "To boldly go where no Mac OS has gone before."
  • Go try Rhapsody and find the add-ons to run MacOS or Windows programs. It's just Mach with the OS9 interface.
  • I remember getting Rhapsody on a VHD and it failed to load.

-Q
  • Star Trek is not the same as Rhapsody.

Star Trek was never released or leaked outside of Apple, and the only existance it has is an old hard drive sitting in an Apple office.

Rhapsody was a precursor to OS X in a way. It was NEXTSTEP with a classic Mac OS interface. If you look at screenshots of Rhapsody DR2 and Mac OS X Server 1.0 (the one without Aqua) , you'll see similarities.

Rhapsody is picky about what VMs it likes, try Connectix VPC 3.x.

• Yeah, I know that. There's also a myth that all MacOS versions were ported to x86 but I find that hard to believe. Probably came from someone like TCPMeta.

You need Early versions of 4.x were compatible. The VHD image was also password protected. I think it was still the default root/null.
  • Yeah, I know that. There's also a myth that all MacOS versions were ported to x86 but I find that hard to believe. Probably came from someone like TCPMeta.

You need Early versions of 4.x were compatible. The VHD image was also password protected. I think it was still the default root/null.

Nah, but OS X was ported to x86 before 10.4. Apple's project "Marklar" was porting OS X to x86 for a while before they went public with the Intel switch announcement. No classic Mac OS was really ported afaik.

• Probably came from someone like TCPMeta.

Ahh yes, him...

How do you specify a password? I just remembered it booted and then failed.

-Q
  • The one I had worked. It was VPS 3.14 or something like that. Maybe 4.13. It booted to the login screen.

I also tried to install on an old Pentium and got a kernel panic. I booted it up with the floppies and ued the CD after that. All the HW seemed to be compatible.
  • It ran fine on my P1. Apparently the 3c905 driver didn't like the specific revision of my network card, though, and without network access, it was kinda...not very useful.