Firewall suggestions?

edited March 2007 in Software
I currently use Zone Alarm Personal Edition which is the free version but I've recently discovered that there is a problem with the 7.x line in that any and all IRC ports are blocked with no way to allow them. It's a known problem but one in which there is little to no effort on the part of Checkpoint Software to fix anytime soon.

So, in light of that, I'm looking to replace it with a similar solution with a similar price, any suggestions or favorites?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Why not just use a router?
  • You can't explicitly allow outbound ports? That's strange. You can try a trial of the Pro versions and see if THEY fix it or downgrade to 6 (Or use the Windows one if you're on XP/WVI).

I'm going to refrain from asking the inevitable question that comes up when people discuss firewalls...

Edit: Looks like someone got there already...

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    Why not just use a router?
    I do use my router, problem is that I'm not the only one on the network and other people on the network, well, let's just say computer security in their case is lax.

So, rather than maintaining every computer in this house beyond installing an anti-virus on them, I maintain a high security setup on my own computer which requires the use of a firewall, not so much to block threats from the outside world but block threats from the internal network.
  • Use Windows to block the other machines then.
  • BOD wrote:
    Use Windows to block the other machines then.
    I don't think you quite understand but that's alright as I've gotten some replacement recommendations from another source.
    Q wrote:
    You can't explicitly allow outbound ports? That's strange. You can try a trial of the Pro versions and see if THEY fix it or downgrade to 6 (Or use the Windows one if you're on XP/WVI).
    It's a problem with the 7.x build, it would seem that it is programmed to be blocked automatically though the option to unblock it is not available and the ones that are supposed to do the job in the program fail to accomplish this.

As for the trial and downgrading, thank you for the advice, I will keep it in mind if the other solution doesn't pan out as expected.

Also, the Windows XP firewall blocks incoming only so in the event that a machine becomes infected with a trojan/virus, it is still able to spread to other machines on the network.
    Q wrote:
    I'm going to refrain from asking the inevitable question that comes up when people discuss firewalls...
    What works for some people may not be what works or is necessary for others, it's a matter of circumstance, preference, knowledge and other factors, or at least that's my view on issues such as that.
  • I'm not the least bit surprized at ZA's perfidy. I recall using the Pro version once and trying to have its browser modifyer (This was back when I used IE) block certain strings that would usually be ads and nothing else. Despite explicit instructions, it STILL would say things like "blocked web bug", "blocked malicious script". Almost as bad as "IMsecure PRO", which Fish always hated for blocking ANY link in an IM.

I wasn't sure if you were on Vista or not, as I know its firewall does block some outgoing.

The last bit was a reference to the inevitable "Why can't you use your router?" question that gets asked when someone talks about firewalls.

Hope you get it resolved to satisfaction.

-Q
  • If you really do need firewall, I'd recommend http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=tpfirewall
  • alexzarach wrote:
    If you really do need firewall, I'd recommend http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=tpfirewall
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll certainly give it a whirl to see if it is up-to-snuff with my needs.
  • I used it on 98 and it never crashed, it isn't too large, either.