Contents of Windows XP CD

edited March 2007 in Software
Can anyone post a list of contents of the Windows XP CD? I've looked all over Google and the closest I could find to Windows XP CD contents was "copy the Windows XP CD contents to the hard drive"

Comments

• This is a quick output listing of an original XP Professional CD (Original Release sans Service Packs)

Link: WinXPoriginal.txt
  • The reason why I needed the contents was because I've lost my Windows XP CD and I need to put contents back on it. I backed up the files but I also accidentally put some other stuff in there and I'm not sure what to put in and what not to put in. I tried just typing WINNT at the command prompt after putting the i386 folder but then it reads an INF file that it doesn't tell me what the name is and then says that it is not a valid Windows XP installation folder.
  • As long as you own a license (serial) allready, getting a ISO of a disc off the pirate bay wouldn't be illegal.

Or, you could do what I do, pay a fee and get everything microsoft off MSDN.
  • In theory it's legal, but that sure as hell wouldn't stand up in court I'd think.
  • I kindof doubt it'd even get into the preliminaries. If they did, for some reason, ask him for proof that he had a license and he could prove that he had one, they'd probably give him a new disc. I seem to recall reading something to that effect on MS's "howtotell" pages.

-Q
  • Well, anyone could just rip the product key off a public workstation and say it was their own legal product key. So how would they go about knowing for sure if it was legal?
  • I'm sure they maintain records of who was given what serial for what amount of money. If he obtained this personally, it would be rather compelling for them if he had his name directly associated with that serial.

On the other hand, I suspect they have more official ways of for people to obtain new installation media.

-Q