Light duty svr.

QQ
edited March 2007 in Hardware
I'm think that for the next few months, possibly longer, I should have a light power consumption server so I can let my main machine (BlacIIR2), go to sleep.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to go about this?

I'd rather use parts/machines I already have, is possible.

Rather obviously, this is going to be just the machine itself with VNC or SSH running for administration.

-Q

PS. I'm almost thinking that if I can get a laptop, I'd just use that ;).

Comments

• A laptop wouldn't be a very bad choice if your seeking low power usage. But if you've got a celeron laying around, chances are its low power.
  • Gah & gah.

I don't think I have a celeron, most of what I have is ~MMX, or there abouts.

-Q
  • yea the pentium D's should be ok.

He wants something that he can build out of existing parts and be lower power.

He also said all he has are mostly MMX.
  • ahh right. If its only mmx's you ahve then just use them.
  • adragons wrote:
    A laptop wouldn't be a very bad choice if your seeking low power usage. But if you've got a celeron laying around, chances are its low power.
    Indeed. I run a Celeron server, and I barely notice it's power usage or heat (although whatever room I put it in does heat up slightly, but that's to be expected).

-Kirk
  • I do have some newer systems from various people, but some I know are unsuitable (EG. The RAMBUS one).

-Q
  • If you're only serving up static pages/files, an MMX-era machine will do you fine. Throw something lightweight (BSD, Slack) on there and it'll be great.
  • Pentium D's are *horrible* with power usage and heat. Avoid them like the plague.

• I'll see what I can build this weekend if I remember.

-Q