Your Belief on RAM

13»

Comments

• Q: That FPS measurement could well be the maximum that that game can actually produce. If I remember the maximum that Quake3 can push out is somewhere around 500.
  • There's no actual internal limit in Q3 though :p
  • nightice wrote:
    There's no actual internal limit in Q3 though :p

I always thought there was :|.
  • BOD: I read in the help file that some games had set maximums, but this one fluctuated almost constantly and didn't prefer round numbers.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    There's no actual internal limit in Q3 though :p

I always thought there was :|.
    I just looked at the source quickly, and unless I missed something, the only checks exist to not exist a user-set maximum (com_maxfps). Perhaps a limitation of windows?

...aha, i see it. The engine doesn't keep an actual FPS counter, rather, the screen drawing code takes the current time (since starting the game) each frame. After it gets 4 times, it averages them together and displays it. The equation is 1000*4/(number of frames), I guess that somehow works out to 4/8, thus it only displays up to 500, even if the game is actually running faster.
  • nightice wrote:
    the only checks exist to not exist a user-set maximum (com_maxfps).

I can't parse that...

nightice wrote:
    1000*4/(number of frames),

Wouldn't it be easier to just make it "4000/n" ?

-Q
  • I can't parse that...
    Players can set a maximum number of frames to render per second, and that's the only hard FPS limit in Q3.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just make it "4000/n" ?
    Possibly, but the way the code works doesn't quite allow that. Plus there's no parentheses, so the intended order of operations is a bit harder to figure out. Presumably PEMDAS holds true but I'm too lazy to investigate.