P R O C L A M A T I O N for all VISTA-USERS

QQ
edited April 2007 in Software
LIBERAL REWARDS

will be dispersed to all

Persons

who are able to correctly run and explain the method of correctly running the Game of

"P I R A T E S !"

for

DOS

in

Windows Vista!

-Q

PS. Sorry for the strange formatting, I was trying to mimic the old "broadsheet" format. The program itself can be found at http://wwsvr.bounceme.net/Pirates.zip .

PPS. I know about DOS box, see if you can get it to work in it.

[Edit: Update, see last post]

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Blagh... this isn't working well... just delete this. :P The link above isn't right but bbcode and I aren't getting along so I can't correct it.
    Just copy and past the link. He has a exclamation mark in there messing with things.
  • Fixed by renaming the file on the svr.

-Q
  • hmm. Anyone got doom 95 running onv vista yet?
  • Just use Jdoom, I'm pretty sure it'd work, and its 100x better.
  • And stop distracting support threads!

-Q

[Edit: OK, now the problem is to get Pirates! Gold to work. The controls are almost non-responsive]
  • Works OK in a Virtual PC session under PC DOS 2000 and MS DOS 6.22..... seems better in PC DOS for some reason.... I pretty much run everything on a VPC session with no worries. Only really old games that freak out at high CPU speed get on my nerves... I know there are software solutions, I just tend to use real hardware in those cases....KVM over to the PPro 200 for a little while..

Tested in VPC 2007 under Vista 64 bit.....
  • The speed is fine, but the controls are about nonresponsive in sea-battles.

-Q
  • Q, you're not running a 64-bit version of Vista are you? Cause if I recall, any 16-bit program is unusable in a 64-bit OS environment.
  • Almost any DOS game is useless on Vista straight. DOSbox and VPC BOTH make the controls seem to seize up.

-Q
  • They changed around too much in Vista, making this stuff useless.
  • Yea, but even in VPC it's almost unusable.

-Q
  • Now that confuses me. I don't believe VPC is a true emulator, I'm not sure about DOSBox. But if I'm right, Vista is probably interfereing in the process.
  • "Not a true emulator"?
  • I don't know if it's the speed of the machine, VPC, Vista or what that's screwing this up. I MAY try it in VMware later on and see if that does anything differently.

-Q
  • It's more a virtualizier, since it's run on a PC already. Therefore, it doesn't need to change calls and coding around to a different types of system. VPC for Mac is an emulator since it has to change stuff to PPC coding.

VMware is also a Virtualizer, but I like it better than VPC myself. It's much faster and more powerful.
  • That's a matter of efficiency, why emulate something that's already there?
  • I don't get what you're saying...
  • IE. Yes, it is a virtualizer, because emulation would be rather pointless.

-Q
  • Yeah, I don't know the definitions of each but I know they are quite seperate.
  • Did you install a DOS idle application in your VPC Q? I found without it some apps just don't work well as interupts back to the real hardware get delayed because the CPU is always at 100 percent.... This problem is less of a big deal on multicore/multiproc system systems though.
  • Hmm, no I didn't. Do you recommend any?

-Q
  • I use the one included with the DOS additions for Virtual PC 2004. They still work under VPC 2007 though they are "no longer supported" . Another one that works and is often recommended for VMware DOS sessions is DOSIDLE (quick google pulls lots of links).

Hope that helps, let me know, if your physical hardware is Core Duo though there is a known bug that affects Virtual PC and a few other apps that emulate keystrokes for other programs on the PS/2 interupt. Happy gaming.
  • I'm on a A64.

IDLE.COM ran fine on VPC 2007 w/MS-DOS 6.22, although the game itself (piratesg.exe) doesn't start!

-Q
  • I guess the problem is, I don't know what to expect or rather what you are expecting since you ran the game originally. Whether running in VPC or from a live DOS session on a 486 notebook, I can move rapidly up and down between menu choices with no keyboard lag. During the brief sword fight I made out OK and beat up the other ships captian and swiped his ship etc.. I get to port and I can read the options and visit the tavern or the governor or what have you.

I notice that it takes about five seconds to bring up the "press enter to continue" dialogue, but I assumed that's the way it was programmed.

Pressing spacebar pauses the game and using the number pad to sail the ship I can shoot and fight etc...

This was on PC DOS 7.0 with no config sys and no autoexec.bat. Just bypassed them all and started the game
  • Was that for Pirates or Pirates Gold? I got the former working in VPC with little trouble, the latter I found to be unplayable (The ship fights went WAY too fast).

-Q
  • OK now I feel like a right proper idiot.... we were talking about two different things....

If you want to play Pirates Gold on a PC I recommend the emulated one from the Sega platform.

1.2 meg total install with the fusion emulator included http://www.games4win.com/games/pirates-gold/

it's ready to go, just set up your keybaord or joystick etc... hit esc to run in full screen mode under XP...
  • UglynGrey wrote:
    OK now I feel like a right proper idiot....

It's actually my fault, originally it WAS "Pirates!" but then I got it working and moved on to Pirates! Gold.

I'll see about that SEGA version.

-Q
  • Oh yes, and damn you for introducing this to me, I've been playing pirates gold for the past two hours. Crud.

The PC version has much better graphics, let's see if I can't make it play nice
  • Allright, dowloaded pirates gold for the PC for DOS.

Used a generic VPC 2007 with 32 megs (overkill). Loaded PC DOS 7 (any flavour is fine ver 5 or higher)
    Config sys has himem, files and buffers statements and that's it.

Autoexec.bat has set temp, path, set blaster and loads CTMOUSE and the VESA 2.0 driver for the emulated S3 video card.

This vesa driver file is called s3vbe318.zip and can be googled easily.

went to pirates gold directory and ran the install function to set the address for my emulated sound blaster.

starterd the game with the command "piratesg v1" forcing it use my vesa driver instead of it's internal support.

Game fired up and words fine at it's best setting of super vga (640x480x256)

Have tested sailing , killing other captains, visiting towns and even had a "companionable" evening with the barmaid (I'm such a pig)... There is sometime video corruption on some text screens. nothing serious, just what looks like ghosting and pixelization...weird but likely the fault of the old vesa driver.

Of note I think my install is just someones zipped up games directory. If you can point me to an ISO or a complete file set I'd appreciate it.