Trouble with Vista and "Sleep"

QQ
edited April 2007 in Hardware
On BlacIII (A64, Vista 32), I have the machine set to "sleep" after x minutes and also for it to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. The only problem is when it goes to sleep it wont wake up again. If you press the power button, it goes through the whole boot up and login phase. While it's "asleep", nothing will elicit a response (Keyboard, mouse, remote desktop, etc).

-Q

PS. Windows Update shows no updates available.

Comments

• Will the cd/floppy drive wake it up? (if you have one)

-Alexander Zarach
  • Pushing the eject button does nothing.

-Q
  • Try hibernating it. The power button should resume it as if you pressed 'enter' from 'sleep'.

-Alexander Zarach
  • I dislike hibernation as that's what I had on XP. Sleep SHOULD work, but for some noxious reason it doesn't.

-Q
  • Hibernation is similar to sleep-so there's no reason to dislike it. The only difference is it saves the windows and desktop layout before shutting down. When you turn it on again, it's just like resuming from sleep.
  • I know exactly what it's like, having used it for about 2 years, and I dislike it.

-Q
  • Sorry to go through the simple steps, but I am using Windows 98SE without hibernation. Mabey you could unplug and plug back in the keyboard? I'm sorry, but I have had no experience with Vista at all and really don't know what to suggest.

-Alexander Zarach
  • That's the problem, it's such a basic thing that I can't tell if it's the system, Windows, both?

-Q

PS. In all honesty, I remember 98SE having this problem too!
  • On the subject of hibernation, how do you get a Windows 98SE (laptop) to hibernate? I have enabled it in power options.

There is a page on your problem-it is no longer available, but is cached by google. Here is the link to the cached version, the original does not exist any more:
    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Lhg-nQwfh3gJ:neosmart.net/blog/2006/vistas-hideous-wakeup-support/+vista+won%27t+resume+from+hibernation&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1
  • Suggestions of video driver problems... interesting.

-Q
  • Well-it could be anything. You never know, it could be the video card. It couldn't be a Windows error because windows is suspended. It must be a fault with one of your hardware/components.

-Alexander Zarach
  • Q wrote:
    On BlacIII (A64, Vista 32), I have the machine set to "sleep" after x minutes and also for it to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. The only problem is when it goes to sleep it wont wake up again. If you press the power button, it goes through the whole boot up and login phase. While it's "asleep", nothing will elicit a response (Keyboard, mouse, remote desktop, etc).

-Q

PS. Windows Update shows no updates available.

The exact same things happens to me on Vista. Sleep seemed to do nothing, but basically shut down the PC. The only way I could wake it up was by pressing power (the mouse and keyboard gave no response), and it would take a few minutes to recover.

After going through all that, I just disabled sleep.
  • OK, I hadn't realized exactly how duplicative I'd made these threads. Check the one about "Sleep Failure" in the NT forum.

-Q