The largest memory consumption I've ever seen...

QQ
edited April 2007 in Software
http://wwsvr.bounceme.net/Eeek.png

Sorry for the poor quality, that window started to come up JUST as I took the screenshot.

-Q

Comments

• hahaha acrobat reader? Get foxit ;)
  • It's not the program, it's the [
  • My god, the title bar of the other window is in the way, but from what I can read, acrobat reader is using +900 MB of ram?

I noticed the other day that acrobat reader's size on the hard disk was 150 MB, and I got to thinking, wtf is it using all of that for?

I don't mind acrobat reader too much, I'm not going to go uninstall it and install foxit on all of my systems now or anything like that...

But I was just wondering why it needs all that space?
  • You don't have to uninstall adobe reader to try foxit...

Just as another comparison of how bloated adobe reader is, you said it used 150MB on your disk... foxit uses 4.28 MB on mine :D
  • 900MB of RAM and a swapspace of just under 2GB.

And, rather amusingly, Foxit didn't go above about 90MB. I also love that it can be used as a STANDALONE! OMG

-Q
  • My install of Adobe Reader 8 is about 108 at the mo will probably be a bit bigger in a sec. I ran it a few mis ago and doing nothing it took up 25megs of ram:P mind you this laptop is fairly beatup and crap. I think my desktop has it at about 15 to 25 depending.
  • Reader is just over 100MB on mine with help being just over 1MB.

However the standaloneness of Foxit is what I like.

-Q
  • I've switched over to Foxit a few months ago. Acrobat Reader just seemed to get more bloated for each release.

IIRC, the installer for the latest version of Acrobat Reader is like 20 or 30 MB. Talk about bloat.
  • I will give them credit, 8 seems alot cleaner then 7. 5 > 6 > 7 just seemed to get progressively worse.

And don't get me (Or Fish) started on "Net op systems FEAD Download Optimizer" !

-Q
  • There was this laptop someone brought in for me to fix.

They had so many MP3's and games on this 80 GB hard disk that they had about 8 GB free, and when I went to run defrag, which it desperately needed, windows complained that defrag needed 15% free space to be effective when there was only 12% free space on the drive.

So I was looking through, seeing if there was anything that could be removed, like crappy spy ware utilities, you know the ones that expect you to register before they remove the spy ware. Or anti-virus programs that were using too much disk space, I came across Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 and noticed that it was using 200 MB.

While version 8 on my computer at school was using about 100 MB.

So they must not be adding more bloat if the old version was bigger.
  • Im not denying that version 8 is better than previous versions. Not saying that at all.

I am saying however, that it is bloated when compared to foxit, because of relative sizes. 100MB vs 4.5MB (after install).

Another reason adobe reader is bad: It wants to integrate into browsers, making them slower.
  • I find it a little irksome when the backspace key no longer works for "Back one page".

-Q