No AVI Codec in Vista?

edited April 2007 in Software
I recently recorded some videos of my Battlefield 2 game in Fraps, a game recording program. It saves out to AVI files. I just tried to import one into Windows Movie Maker to resize, and add background music, etc. Windows Movie Maker in Windows XP will take these videos, but the Windows Movie Maker in Windows Vista says it is missing a codec.
The file C:\Fraps\Videos\BF2 2007-04-15 15-46-38-49.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I can play back these movies in Windows Media Player with absolutely no problem, which is what confuses me.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't figure out what codec I'm supposed to download, and haven't had any luck in finding it.

-Kirk

Comments

• Well which codec did it encode stuff in in the first place?

AVI isn't really a codec on it's own.
  • BOD wrote:
    Well which codec did it encode stuff in in the first place?

AVI isn't really a codec on it's own.
    How can I tell? It doesn't say anything about specific codecs in Fraps... it only lets you change the frame rate and such. All I can tell you for certain is that the file is an avi.

-Kirk
  • You can use something like the ridiculously named "Gspot" to try and render it
  • If you can play back in Windows Media Player, then I asume you've downloaded and installed the divx codec.

http://www.divx.com

thats the only thing I can think of.
  • all codecs install fine under vista :I
  • BlueSun wrote:
    If you can play back in Windows Media Player, then I asume you've downloaded and installed the divx codec.

http://www.divx.com

thats the only thing I can think of.

AVI does not always mean Divx, Divx is just a more compressed form.

Odd problem since if it plays in WMP, it must decode in Windows Movie Maker. Wouldn't hurt to re-install some codecs and see if that'll help.
  • Yeah I know AVI isn't always Divx, I have a few AVIs that are encoded with Windows Media or whatever its called.

But the divx codec is pretty common among AVI's, so I thought I'd mention it
  • there are Xvid and other ones too
  • Isn't Xvid another implementation of DivX (The fact it's "DivX" backwards makes me suspicious)?

-Q
  • nope thay are completely different.
  • Actually they are. (I think)

Xvid is a slight rewrite of an old DivX version afaik, hence why vxid stuff still plays using the divx codec.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

It was developed under the OpenDivx and based off the Mpeg 4 system. Think of it as both use the same kernel.
  • Hardly "completely different", but not the same thing then. OK, I wasn't too sure.

-Q
  • It might not help whatever problem you're having Kirk but I found
    a site that has the latest codecs for Vista:
    Download it Here

Thump
  • anantha92 wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

It was developed under the OpenDivx and based off the Mpeg 4 system. Think of it as both use the same kernel.

I knew open source would take something good and make a clone of it.

Not as funny as the Ogg format though!
  • Thump wrote:
    It might not help whatever problem you're having Kirk but I found
    a site that has the latest codecs for Vista:
    Download it Here

Thump
    Hey, thanks for the link. I'll give that a try tonight, and let you all know how it goes.

-Kirk
  • lol, double post. Everyone else does it, why not, right? tongue.gif Well, thanks again, Thump. That codec completely fixed it, and I can now import my Fraps videos into Windows Movie Maker. smile.gif

-Kirk
  • Q wrote:
    Hardly "completely different", but not the same thing then. OK, I wasn't too sure.

-Q

I meant that xvid and divx are not related in any way now.