skip processor check in windows 2000 setup

edited April 2007 in Software
how do i bypass the processor check in windows 2000 (i have the right ram just not the right processor)

Comments

• Err... you have to press F(something) key, F5 if I've remembered it correctly.. at the beginning of setup (Setup is checking your hardware configuration...)
    This was the way how I made it work on my laptop with VIA processor.
  • winnt /something is probably it.

If you don't have a fast enough CPU I wouldn't try since the minimum is 133MHz and anything under that is slow as shit.
  • JackTheStripper, I dont think his CPU is slow, maybe its unsupported (like my VIA), or the installation program just cant determine correctly what type of processor it is.
  • no my cpu is 100mhz but is there anyway to speed up the cpu
  • not significantly, what the fastest CPU your motherboard supports?

I have an few socket 7 CPU's that run up to 450 MHz for example and they can run win2k reasonably well
  • why would you even waste time putting 2k on there? Windows checks the processor speed for a reason - too see if your hardware meets the minimal requirements to run Windows. I'm sure you obviously know that though. However, how much memory do you even have?

If I were you, I'd just hang out with Windows 95..depending on your memory though, you could most likely run 98 decent.
  • Windows 2000 is going to crawl, its going to be completely unbearable on a 100MHz CPU. Even if the CPU were overclocked to 133, it would still be completely unbearable, even more so if you have the bare minimum on RAM.
  • Am I the only one who noticed something?

-Q
  • I think that given your CPU Speed, you should go for Windows NT 4.

Install things like updates and you should be able to use it fine without crawling too bad.