FTP Software

edited April 2007 in Software
I'm thinking about setting up an FTP server and was wondering, what software exists beyond FileZilla Server that is also free and/or open source?

I'd prefer Windows platform support but would give considerable thought to a *nix setup.

Comments

• I use FileZilla, but you could always just steal BulletProof FTP.. Thats what I used to use, its got so many more features, but I just fell in loev with FileZilla for some reason.
  • Maybe because it just works without having to mess around finding a warez'd version that works?
  • oldversion.com must have one.
  • If I recall, BPFTP wasn't hard. Anyway, if nothing else, I love the systray icon changes in FZ.

There is also, evidently: http://www.goldenftpserver.com/

-Q
  • Very odd, if I forward the ports to my system and I modify my firewall, I still can't connect to my FTP server on this system on my WAN IP but can on my LAN and Loopback ones.
  • Is your firewall Windows' integrated one? Try disabling it; I've found that even with exceptions servers still function better when its just disabled.

-Q
  • I don't use Windows Firewall but the more I work on it, the more I think it's that damned router.
  • Try something like GRC.com's little port-scanning page. That's how I tell when there's a fundamental problem.

-Q
  • Everything is "shielded" minus the ping... I've gone so far as to remove every level of protection in that router including put my system in the DMZ, forward ports, disable all other things and yet, nothing.

I really, truly, honestly am beginning to hate ActionTEC brand everything, why couldn't Verizon just give me a normal DSL modem and tell me to provide my own router like before?
  • Is it possible your ISP is blocking the port?

Try setting a different port?
  • Come to think of it, BlueSun is right. Verizon blocks a variety of ports. Try forwarding port 1021 or 10021. Something random.
  • Fish could tell you they've blocked 80 and also the Windows filesharing port because of the notorious viruses.

-Q
  • Bash wrote:
    Come to think of it, BlueSun is right. Verizon blocks a variety of ports. Try forwarding port 1021 or 10021. Something random.
    Okay, I've tried the port issue, went so far as to put my computer in the DMZ making it fully accessible outside the LAN, tried a variety of ports and changes to configuration, nothing.
  • Windows firewall doesn't apear to work because it won't support loopback access.

Your router may be the same also.
  • I don't use Windows Firewall, I've tried disabling my own and the router firewall was turned off and ports forwarded numerous times and nothing worked when I had outside people test it.

The problem lies with the firmware in that router, it has to, any other time I did it on the old setup with my Netgear router and the Westell modem (now missing), it worked properly.

It's going to come down to me replacing that Actiontec modem/router with a regular modem and my own router, it's just going to take forever and a day because Verizon has its head so far up its own... well you know where I'm going with this.

If ka0s finds his power cables and can quote me shipping, I'll pay for his and if he can't, I'll find one online.
  • update your router's firmware online
  • alexzarach wrote:
    update your router's firmware online
    Thought of that, problem is, the site that has the firmware, doesn't exist or is unaccessible and has been for some time now and the site that does exist and is accessible, doesn't offer the firmware but offers to sell me things.
  • Try on google-it will save you money if you find the firmware on google.
  • Yeah, because using firmware from a third party site is such a good idea.
  • Their servers finally responded, I found my firmware and have upgraded the firmware, now to explorer it and see what is now where because it's a wildly different interface.
  • I can test your site when you're ready-just post the link ;)
  • Problem still exists even after all of that, now however, a new annoying feature of the firmware is, if you change ANYTHING even something as simple as a port forward rule, you HAVE to restart the entire router.

Why does Verizon and Actiontec hate me so?
  • Geta netgear DG834G. Mine hasn't been TOO problematic.
  • I've got one of the hated Actiontec LAN/WiFi/Coax routers that Verizon provided with FiOS service, and havent had a problem wtih it yet.
  • ka0s wrote:
    I've got one of the hated Actiontec LAN/WiFi/Coax routers that Verizon provided with FiOS service, and havent had a problem wtih it yet.
    Yeah but I think Actiontec also handles the hardware on the fiber optic side too.

I don't know, I mean, when it was just a simple modem from Westell and my own routers, I had no issues with setting up servers and the like. Now though, it's hell to even set a port forward and there isn't any foreseeable way to remedy the problem beyond replacing the hybrid with a simple modem like before.
  • I have an ADSL connection at work and I just bought an ADSL interface card for the Cisco router instead. I hate things being unreliable. I often find you can pick up a router with a releveant version of IOS for less than you can buy flaky consumer hardware for. Combined with Border Manager on a regular PC I have a nicely manageable and tough to hack solution.

then by combining Border Manager with Novells reverse proxy services, my workplace file servers are pretty well defended and the web server actually isn't in a DMZ, it's only on the internal LAN. The reverse proxy is what sits in the DMZ and since it also happens to be an ICSA certified firewall... tough nut to crack.

If you have a little experience with routers and the like there's some really good deals out there on ebay and yahoo stores etc.
  • IOS in a home setup seems kinda... overkill.
  • BOD wrote:
    IOS in a home setup seems kinda... overkill.

I dunno... I suppose, I just like the fact you can get really good old tech for more or less the same cost as really bad new tech.....