Make windows 98 or 95 look like windows 3.11

edited April 2007 in Software
is it possible?

Comments

• Edit system.ini and replace "shell="'s entry with "progman.exe" ?

-Q
  • I meant make it have the windows 3.11 window styles.

mask98 was a program for windows 3.11 to make it look like 95/98.
  • I'm not sure if windowblinds had a 98/95 version.

But you could use WindowBlinds or simular skinning program and then find a 3.x skin for it.

This is not a really good idea because most of those 3rd party skinning programs are slow. Especially on older hardware.

I don't know of anything like mask98 in reverse? I always wondered why the creators of mask98 never made a MaskXP or something simular? to give 3.x/9x a XP look.
  • If you're on decent hardware, WindowBlinds isnt bad. My 850Mhz / 256MB laptop runs WindowBlinds without a problem to fake Vista on it. It doesnt do a good job faking Vista, since the transparency and composition arent done... but its using almost no RAM.
  • I wonder if they've improved it since the last time I tried?

I ran windowblinds on 1.8 Ghz/256 MB of RAM and it was quite slow but bearable.
  • They've definitely made improvements, but then again, I'm running it on an NT system, not a 9x system.
  • When I tried it, I was on XP home.

Since then I've upgraded the ram on that system to 768 MB.
  • I dont know of any programs off the top of my head for this. As Q stated, edit that system.ini file but I dont think the progman.exe is even the same. For the program groups, I dont think it shows the icons for the group itself. Isnt like minimzed windows bar?
  • WinMan31 wrote:
    I dont know of any programs off the top of my head for this. As Q stated, edit that system.ini file but I dont think the progman.exe is even the same. For the program groups, I dont think it shows the icons for the group itself. Isnt like minimzed windows bar?

Yep. I've always hated that about the progman after 3.x, but then again, I see no point in going back now that I'm used to 6.0.