MBR issue

edited March 2010 in Software
I have a dead master boot record after I installed Ubuntu. I've tried BootSect (from vista), grub reinstall, Startup Repair, and even reinstalling my Win7 loader. No matter what I do, my PC reboots at startup.

I know the OS is fine. I'm posting this running off of Hiren's boot CD and it works perfectly, except of course for the WGA "issues." I've been booting from CD for a month now. (Yes, I'm lazy.)

Lil' Help?

Comments

• When you boot it up via CD, is the partition with Windows set to "Active" ? I had to do that before Startup Repair would actually repair anything.

-Q
  • The system now halts at startup and displays "boot1: error."
    I think it has something to do with my Windows 7 loader.
    Is is possible to manually remove it?
  • If I recall, Windows still uses a dos MBR for booting vista, and it chainloads off onto the 7 Bootloader. If there is a way to load the dos fdisk onto the machine and run a fdisk /mbr. Do it.
    Then try running 7 setup again with the repair option to get it to boot into that, then try reinstalling grub.
    Seems overcomplicated, but it *might* work.
  • Did you try with the live loader???

It's W7 loader but on a CD, It overrides the already installed W7 Loader on your disk, you should start it up and make W7 boot without the loader... It should work :)

Download it from it's official forums (My Digital Life): http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... covery-ISO

And, of course, Have luck! :)
  • Just dl'ed it, will probably try it tomorrow. I live in the country and get crappy (384K down 192K up) DSL.
  • DSL?
    In the country?
    What sorcery is this!?
  • Just dl'ed it, will probably try it tomorrow. I live in the country and get crappy (384K down 192K up) DSL.

Better'n my internet.