Anticipated downtime

edited June 2010 in News & Announcements
I'm planning on going to Chicago tomorrow taking wdl1 offline to install a 1TB hard disk. I'm planning on being down there around 9-10PM Central time, and the data copying and swap should take around 2 hours.

Comments

• Duff wrote:
    vrsoit.gif
    :P
  • stitch if you want to throw it on my server a fee hours before we can for good measure... At least the HTML, not the downloads though.. Wdl2 can handle those
  • Ka0s wrote:
    stitch if you want to throw it on my server a fee hours before we can for good measure... At least the HTML, not the downloads though.. Wdl2 can handle those

I was just gonna point the domain to winboards before I get on the road, and point it back once i'm about ready to go back.
  • ok so this is like takking place right now fyi
  • Stitch -- its a NEAR seamless downtime. Actually, any normal user wouldnt have even been able to notice this if we hadnt made the announcement -- thats how well planned this was.
  • alright well, here's where we are at...

spongebob/wdl1 does not like disks that large. tl;dr i have 2 options at this point:

1) come back one day with a SATA card that will support it.
    2) just phase out the already-aging 1st gen opteron box for newer hardware
  • Probably cheaper, faster and easier to go the SATA card route. But if you can afford it and you feel like spending the money, it's probably better to switch over to newer hardware.
  • 202.jpg

good news everyone! i managed to get the box booting with the new drive.
  • Stitch, by any chance was it lack of SATA2 support?

I have to use a pci sata card in my fileserver to get it to see the larger of my HDDs.
  • BOD wrote:
    Stitch, by any chance was it lack of SATA2 support?

I have to use a pci sata card in my fileserver to get it to see the larger of my HDDs.

it was that and lack of supporting drives that large, I finally flashed the bios with the latest and it worked.

and the file server being that rackable you bought?
  • Yeah.

I dunno whether it's just the samsung drives I'd been using, I had the problem on the previous machine.

I can hotplug them, but if they're connected on boot it just stalls.
  • Bumping this thread. Power was out for like 2 hours already, electric guys said it should be back 2 hours from this post, but it seems to be back now... no guarantees though.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    Bumping this thread. Power was out for like 2 hours already, electric guys said it should be back 2 hours from this post, but it seems to be back now... no guarantees though.
    God how I have those power outages, they makes any electric apparatus go into SNAFU hell.. :\

Have luck and fun protecting your electronic thins! :O

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file