Making self extracting programs work on Windows 2000

edited August 2010 in Software
Windows 2000, as far as I know, does not have "Data Execution Prevention", but I can't get key generation programs (for anything) or self extracting cabinet files to work on my OS without it immediately crashing the program.

Is there any way to alter the security settings to make them work anyway?

Comments

• Never mind, I found out how to solve the problem.

However, I do have some other issues I want to solve.

I'm trying to set up a computer to use Windows 2000, but have most if not all the advantages of XP.

I was wondering how to make Desktop Themes work natively on Windows 2000. Is there a Plus! Pack or update that adds this feature?

P.S.- Windows 2000 lost all of it's official support a few months ago, so does that mean Windows 2000 as abandonware will be available here on Winworld soon?

Also, I was wondering if WinWorld was going to start carrying Windows Updates for abandonware OSes. Given that the OSes in question are no longer supported and given that some of them (like NT 4.0) are hard to get the service packs for, will Winworld be carry these at some future date?
    P.S.- Windows 2000 lost all of it's official support a few months ago, so does that mean Windows 2000 as abandonware will be available here on Winworld soon?

Also, I was wondering if WinWorld was going to start carrying Windows Updates for abandonware OSes. Given that the OSes in question are no longer supported and given that some of them (like NT 4.0) are hard to get the service packs for, will Winworld be carry these at some future date?

I don't see why they wouldn't upload Windows 2000, it'll probably take awhile.
  • Well, if someone wants to grab the updates for the abandoned OS's, I'm sure that WinWorld would be willing to host them.
  • Anyone can upload to Stitch's FTP.

Out of curiosity, what was preventing you from using self-extracting installers?