Win Nt 3

edited August 2010 in Software
How the hell do you get it to work in a virtual macheen? it never wants to get to the gui installer it loops with copping to the hard disk and floppy disk maker,

Comments

• I don't know about NT 3.1, but at least with VirtualBox, 3.51 installs properly, though the VM additions don't work. Luckily, though, as long as you can get networking up and running, it's not a big deal because file shares over a "network" work great as a way to share files and other stuff like mouse pointed integration are pretty minor...
  • yea, but I dont use virtual box, it does not work for me well, I use virtual pc. I personal like it better,
  • It doesn't like CPUs that are above a PentiumI I believe, there is a way to patch the ini files but the fuck if I can remember.
  • Yea i tought so, I need the patch and i can not find it,
  • NT 3.51 runs fine on newer CPUs than the original P5 Pentiums. When P6 (Pentium Pro, PII and PIII) was first introduced, for example, NT 3.51 was one of the first systems to really benefit from it.

NT 3.1 was a buggy piece of crap, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it had more problems on newer hardware.
  • Well, I could install NT 3.51 successfully on VPC 2007 SP1 a while back... I remember that I could get 1024x768@ 16M. Colors like on WfW 3.11, ahh those were the times :P

Now I'm struggling to get MAC OS X 10.6 (Hazard's hack) installed on WmWare and it's giving Kernel Panics to death.. :S
  • There are patched versions in the downloads section on winwolrd last time I knew, but NT3.1 is a bitch to get running, I did run it on my 486 for a while as well as Win95, back when it had 8meg of ram, that wsa slow. But yeah although NT3.1 (called such because of win3.1 being released) is a pain to run and doesn't do much it is a fairly good little OS, however 3.5.x and 4 did really build upon the architecture.

Basically NT3.1 - Win3.1 just a few extras here and there.