Server One Can't download ANYTHING

edited November 2010 in Site Issues
Basicly i can't download anything from Server One. Here is a report:
* Firefox 3.6.12 Mac
* Tried to download every 30 minutes
* http://winworldpc.com/wdl1/1724a8a69ad7 ... 1543/(Beta)%20Operating%20Systems/Macintosh/Apple%20Mac%20OS%20X%2010.0%20(%27%27Kodiak%27%27%2010.0)%20(Developer%20preview%203).rar
* Firefox error after 1 minute of download(!): File couldn't be saved because source file can't be read. Please try again or contact server administrator.

And i can't download this on Server 2 because it isn't there

Comments

• I just tested the file, on the same browser.
    Firefox 3.6.12, Mac OS X 10.6.5.
    And yes, it gave me the same error.

I think it's server-side.
  • Yep, Server One is having problems. Obviously can't do much until Stitch investigates.

Server Two is fully operational, albeit missing a bit of the beta stuff.
  • I finally got logged in again (forgot my username was in all caps...), and I have this issue too. Hope you guys get Server One running again soon, because I love WinWorld and use it reasonably often.

Problem is, Server Two doesn't have Windows For Workgroups 3.11, and I wanted to download that. I have it backed up one of my PCs, but last I used that one I was getting nasty user profile corruption on XP so I don't know what's going on as far as hard drive condition, etc.

Even so, if I can find my OptiPlex 170L and extract my WinWorld archives then I can host them on Dropbox if anyone would like to download a few files that are now offline from server one.
  • Yes it does. Try looking a tad harder and it might be come across.
    http://wdl3.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... ows%20NT3/
  • im beginning to wonder if the problem here is the length of the urls.... i tried the wdl1 url and it didnt work, i didnt bother trying wdl3.

im thinking its time for me to throw an extra drive into wdl2 and get it alive again.
  • I had a thought, maybe an anonymous FTP would a better solution instead of HTTP? It'd make for easy connection/speed control.

The only downside is it's harder to integrate into the site, though right now nothing is really integrated particularly well.
  • can confirm there is a problem,
    I'm using IE8 and Windows 7 Home Premium

It could be a number of factors :)
  • @ Rioter: Ohh, it's under "NT3". Didn't see that. Thanks :)

@ all: Interesting... I can download from the "old" or the "beta" sections of wdl1. I was testing to see if I got 403 forbidden, and I cancelled any downloads that I started. I was about to try the Abandonware OS's section again, but I hit my download limit apparently :( . I didn't realize there was one, oh well I'll just wait a bit and try again later.
  • Duff wrote:
    I had a thought, maybe an anonymous FTP would a better solution instead of HTTP? It'd make for easy connection/speed control.

The only downside is it's harder to integrate into the site, though right now nothing is really integrated particularly well.

im like 99% sure we tried ftp back in the early days and didnt like it.
  • Duff wrote:
    I had a thought, maybe an anonymous FTP would a better solution instead of HTTP? It'd make for easy connection/speed control.

There are positives and negatives to either/or. Once Server One is back up then everything should be all fine.

As for integration, I've had a crack at making the downloads page on Server Two look more like the main site, though Duff something keeps mucking up in your template. Every time I have the header, menu then content text, then the listings in source. When it's on the browser, it's header, content text, menu then listings for some bizarre reason.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    Duff wrote:

im like 99% sure we tried ftp back in the early days and didnt like it.

Probably because retards would use IE to view it and end up with 15billion connections.
  • I'm fairly sure most of the problems were caused by our own inexperience and the use of shitty Windows FTP servers on home connections.
  • Long reply time here:

MrComputerRevo, GDEA73: apologies for this, that's about all I can say right now.

Ka0s: the URL length has nothing to do with it. They expire after a set length of time and you get a 401 Gone.

Anyone who has questions in regard to 403 forbidden errors - cherokee has issues utilizing certain characters (like that 3/4 unicode symbol duff used) even when there's proper permissions. I'm working on a patch for this.

vikingsmb: I highly recommend you do not use IE as we will not support that.

Duff, tim, rioter, BOD, anyone on about ftp: we *could* do an FTP, we have the capacity and the ability to get it configured to our needs, but we would pretty much be a giant dick to IE users. We could do this, but, there's no reason to because, the reason for all the fail is:

DRIVE FAILURE!!!!!! - yay, right? no, not yay. I made changes to some of the epoll behavior to fix some of the forum/other PHP based reset errors, and turned off the global cache, which I forgot I turned off for exactly this reason. However, as far as downloads go, after some investigation there's massive amounts of failures in accessing an assload of blocks on that hard disk.

This very well may be an issue easily fixed by a good fsck, however to umount and fsck that drive will require a maintenance window and datacenter cooperation which is really not 100% feasible at this point. With the luck I've had lately this will probably not solve much of anything.

I'll look into this issue more later today.
  • thats good,
    with IE that is what I have always used so used to it :)