Major problems...

edited February 2011 in Hardware
I have determined my desk top's hard drive is being a little shit at the moment, it wont even show up in another computer via sata port or then sata to usb, the drive how ever shows up in a porgram called spinrite by some steve gipson, So, I've been running this porgram for over 6 days and it now says it will take over 1534 hours to finish.
thats a little over 63 days, I will let the hard drive run that long in another computer as I want my tower back, but I manily need my data like my torrent files and what not back, I would like to reformat the drive but I have no clue how to, I no longer care about the data to this point as long as I can get the drive to work...

there is no clicking from the drive its self, it just does not even want to install in anything,

what the hell should I do? I kind of want to keep it

Comments

• If the drive is dying, replace it. No sense messing around with it. Toss it in the trash, buy a new drive and restore from backup. Don't have a backup? Well too bad, you should have had one.
  • what back up?
    the drive does not even sound bad, that the thing How could it be bad? is it the drive controller? then again I bough another drive like it (same brand and that shit) and it died as well but it was the back up drive..... shit......

umm so you have any good backup plans I could use? I'm looking in to something to back up my laptop aswell
  • Windows comes with backup software now, just use that. Go and buy an external hard drive or two and set up a daily or weekly backup.
  • Yeah but what if I want to back up my laptop as well Do I have to go though the same crap with buying usb hard drives? any ways I have 4 hard drives in my computer with a total of 1.2tb
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Windows comes with backup software now, just use that. Go and buy an external hard drive or two and set up a daily or weekly backup.

When you say "now", you mean the 1990s right? (Hell probably even before then)
  • BOD wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    Windows comes with backup software now, just use that. Go and buy an external hard drive or two and set up a daily or weekly backup.

When you say "now", you mean the 1990s right? (Hell probably even before then)

Oh yeah, I guess there has been a backup program for a while...

I was thinking more of being able to image the drive. And Windows 7 (maybe vista as well?) makes it easy as hell to do your backups... plug in a USB hard drive... "Hey, wanna use this as a backup drive?" "Why sure Mr Windows, I would!" "mkay"
  • I believe MS DOS 5 introduced MSBACKUP. Which would make that about 1988?
  • Yeah I seen it in the silly msdos 5 promo,

....what the hell happend to my long ass post.

But also I am wanting to not just back up my tower but my laptop as well, and I rather not lug around a stupid ass portable hard drive, I only need a back up of my main user folder on my laptop and nothing more,

Also I am useing boot et nuke on my system I have to wipe 3 other hard drives at the same time so why not use my quad core :P so far it is working quite well, So I hope this might bring some life in as I think there is nothing phyicial wrong with the drive, and I'm useing this as a last resourt,
  • Set up your laptop to backup to the desktop then back the desktop up to an external hard drive. That's what I do.
  • Ah...Yeah that is a good Ideia, I am trying to track down a connector for my second hard drive bay for my laptop as it was only fitted with the one sata connector, then I would not be that pushed for backing up.

Any one have a clue where to get the second sata conecter for a toshiba satellite a200?

I did order a hp one as it looks the exact same and if not I could mod it, as it was only a buck including shipping,