What the colour of your router leds when it's on?

2»

Comments

• That was hilarious and epic, mostly because it's entirely true.
  • stitch wrote:

Apparently, people still use printers. Even modern people that use Blu-Ray players & still have VHS tapes are like "What do you do with a tape?" I hate it when people ask that. VCRs are the Blu-Rays grandfathers; DVD players/LaserDisc Players are the Blu-Rays fathers; the VCRs children.

Also, people don't know what an audio cassette and/or floppy diskettes are anymore since technology changed over the years.

VCR* era: 1970s-present
    DVD era: 2000-present
    Blu-Ray era: 2007-present
    LaserDisc era: 1969-2000
    Audio Cassette era: 1928-1996
    Floppy Diskette* era: 1960s-present
    *blank Video Home System (VHS) Videocassettes and blank Floppy Diskettes & Floppy Disk Drives (USB) are still around today.
  • I still have a VCR laying around, but I don't have a TV to connect it to. I'm glad that VHS has died out, it was a massively inferior technology. Same with the floppy and the audio cassette. No more eaten tapes, no more shitty quality, no more slow access times and limited capacity. No more fast forwarding to try and find the show or the song that you want...

Modern technology ftw.
  • HEY!!!
    I still use printers, scanners and a fax machine.

I also still have a 8 track tape deck hooked up to my stero system (Marantz) which includes a AM/FM receiver, cassett player, reel to reel tape player and a turntable (for my vinyl collection of 45s, 33s and 78s). All hook up to a pair of BOSE 501 speakers.
  • Fax? lolololol.

And btw tox, audio cassette *can* sound good, it just requires expensive shit to happen.
  • BOD wrote:
    Fax? lolololol.

And btw tox, audio cassette *can* sound good, it just requires expensive shit to happen.

Yeah, I know. And so can reel-to-reel and vinyl... but like you said, it requires nice and expensive equipment. Or you can get some nice vintage equipment on ebay and the like and restore it if you have the parts and the time to spend on it.

But all of that stuff takes up lots of room and the quality degrades over time. I think I'll stick with FLAC.
  • meb5749 wrote:
    dontabandonme.

Okay, I'll ask; What color is the of your printer's backlit screen???

Mine's a pretty green, kind of like the old Apple and PC workstation monitors.

my printer has no screen my printer is actually one of those cheap HP printers

I don't carry much money =(
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I still have a VCR laying around, but I don't have a TV to connect it to. I'm glad that VHS has died out, it was a massively inferior technology. Same with the floppy and the audio cassette. No more eaten tapes, no more shitty quality, no more slow access times and limited capacity. No more fast forwarding to try and find the show or the song that you want...

Modern technology ftw.
    I have 3 audio cassette players: my car radio has an Audio CD, Cassette; AM/FM Radio, a Memorex Audio CD (broken door), Cassette, and AM/FM Radio (portable & plugs into a regular AC/DC outlet), and a Yamaha K-1000 Audio Cassette Player/Recorder (currently broken, but I'm going to install rubber bands for the tape reels so that I can play, rewind, and fastforward the tapes. Plus, I don't use floppies anymore to be honest. Plus DVDs break easily with scratches, smudges, etc, while VHS tapes picture quality can be fixed by both demagnetizing and ironing the tapes, you can splice the tape to make the tape work again. I spliced one tape that had missing film parts (little clear dots). Also, DVD players, recorders, and computer drives malfunction and the only disk you can only put in the devices are Audio CDs, however, they might be easy to fix. I even fixed my old VCR from 1991, but it broke afterwards...
  • DVDs break easily with scratches, smudges, etc, while VHS tapes picture quality can be fixed by both demagnetizing and ironing the tapes, you can splice the tape to make the tape work again.

I've never scratched a DVD or ruined it with smudges. People that do need to take better care of their stuff.

And a DVD/CD with scratches can be repaired with those scratch repair kits. I don't speak from personal experience, as I said, I've never scratched one.
    Also, DVD players, recorders, and computer drives malfunction

So do tape decks and VCRs... when it breaks, you fix it or replace it.

As far as storing all of my media digitally goes. Yes, there's a risk of drive failure. But that's why you keep backups. Which is far easier to do with my digital media than it would be with analog media.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    DVDs break easily with scratches, smudges, etc, while VHS tapes picture quality can be fixed by both demagnetizing and ironing the tapes, you can splice the tape to make the tape work again.

I've never scratched a DVD or ruined it with smudges. People that do need to take better care of their stuff.

And a DVD/CD with scratches can be repaired with those scratch repair kits. I don't speak from personal experience, as I said, I've never scratched one.
    Also, DVD players, recorders, and computer drives malfunction

So do tape decks and VCRs... when it breaks, you fix it or replace it.

As far as storing all of my media digitally goes. Yes, there's a risk of drive failure. But that's why you keep backups. Which is far easier to do with my digital media than it would be with analog media.
    I copy every DVD into an iPod format (MP4). You're correct about the VCRs and Cassette Decks malfunctioning. My dad's old Yamaha K-1000 Tape Deck needs new belts for both of the tape reels in order for me to play, rewind, and fastforward every tape I have. I fixed my VCR/DVD combo after a head problem; I'm planning to fix both my mom's car radio tape deck and the Yamaha K-1000. I also have an old Yamaha Sound System Board in my backroom, but I might buy the unit brand-new.
  • my router led are all green!
  • I still have a few VHS videos, my Sony VCR is hooked up to my computer now. I still have a cassette radio which I use just as a radio now.

But I am a huge user of floppy disks just because I have hundreds of unused ones lying around and they're quick to record onto when I can't find my USB memory stick. All my desktops and most laptops have floppy drives.

Anyone else here still use tape drives? I have an old seagate ST22000a in my server
  • I have a Seagate DAT 24 STD624000N kicking around someplace. I also still have a Seagate ST157A hard drive clunking away in my DOS 6.22 DTK Intel 386SX machine.

Worst of all I have 3 boxes of BASF 2DD 3.5 floppy disk. Try to get Windows XP to format a 720 disk. Doesn't even recognize the /f:720 switch at the command prompt.

Haven't tried the disk in UBUNTU (10.04) yet...Anyone know the command to format 720 disk in Linux???
  • mkfs.<file system>, you should use msdos, vfat, or ext2 since it's such a small volume.

The device name is something like /dev/fd0u720, it's been probably half a decade since I used a floppy on a Linux box so I can't say for certain.
  • Check out my LEDs:

img0981w.jpg
    img0982s.jpg
    img0983ld.jpg
    img0984j.jpg
  • Josh,

Very cool...What's your electric bill???
  • Not mine, I just manage them.