A new machine

QQ
edited October 2011 in Hardware
I'm looking (in a half windowshopping/half serious way) at getting a new, non-OEM machine.

My only constraints are:

* Has to be a PC, I am NOT getting an Apple.
* Has to be a desktop (IE. Non-laptop, non-tablet, etc.)
* Should be something that I can use with minimal further upgrades for several years (The one I'm on now is @least 5 or 6 years old)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

-Q

Comments

• Buy non-OEM I assume you mean build one. It all depends on your budget.

A Core i5 2500K with 8GB of RAM and a decent motherboard would easily be more than enough for 3-5 year lifetime, but you'll be looking at around $500-700 depending what you need/want to buy. If you're looking for something cheap, get an AMD Phenom II X4/X6 with an AM3+ motherboard.

Either option can be paired with a graphics card of your choosing.

Provide some more details on what you need and your personal needs/preferences for hardware and I'll whip up a Newegg cart.

Edit: Here's a sample i5 system I put together without much thought.

8ns.png
  • I'd go Intel this time around. The Phenom II series is nice, unfortunately Bulldozer, which is a drop-in replacement on many motherboards, is not. If you're OK with spending some more the Core i7 2600(K) is an extremely capable consumer processor. Intel's next generation of consumer processors (Ivy Bridge) will be a drop-in replacement on most LGA 1155 motherboards as well.

There's also the upcoming LGA 2011 socket, which is set to replace LGA 1366, if you're hellbent on performance.
  • nightice wrote:
    I'd go Intel this time around. The Phenom II series is nice, unfortunately Bulldozer, which is a drop-in replacement on many motherboards, is not. If you're OK with spending some more the Core i7 2600(K) is an extremely capable consumer processor. Intel's next generation of consumer processors (Ivy Bridge) will be a drop-in replacement on most LGA 1155 motherboards as well.

There's also the upcoming LGA 2011 socket, which is set to replace LGA 1366, if you're hellbent on performance.

I would've said this if I wasn't so lazy.
  • Money wasn't listed on the constraints and he did say those were is only constraints... so I'm guessing it's not an issue. So in that case, I'd go with Intel. Then apply what's already been said.

I noticed Duff didn't include a PSU, a case, or any optical drives.

So I'll take this opportunity to remind you not to skimp on the PSU. So many people do.
  • I'm not too "hellbent" (nice way of saying it) on performance.

I can afford to expend a good amount on this, since I haven't really bought anything since this one which goes back to ~2003.

Upgradability is somewhat important, but I may just keep this for 8 years and then buy a new machine again.

I did however just realize that I do want to keep using my current keyboard and mouse (PS/2 and serial).

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I did however just realize that I do want to keep using my current keyboard and mouse (PS/2 and serial).

That shouldn't really be an issue regardless of what motherboard you choose. But that depends on how you feel about adapters.

The board Duff posted doesn't have serial, but it does have a single PS/2 port. So if you went with that, you'd also need to get a USB Serial adapter.
  • I have no objections to getting some X-to-USB adapters.

Yea, PSU... I can look for a case myself since that's mainly as esthetic thing. I rarely use optical drives except to install Windows from.

-Q
  • I like to have them available, but I rarely use my optical drive either.
  • If you're looking for an excellent long term investment I would like to plug some of SuperMicro's more consumer oriented boards. You'd have to pick an i7 to go with it (Or a Xeon), it supports up to 24GB DDR3, has 2x PCI-E with crossfire/SLI support. SuperMicro's gear is also highly reliable, 90% of the dedicated fleet at work is SuperMicro and I've seen maybe 3 or 4 board issues. varu on #winboards seen less iirc.

You'll have decent upgradeability and a decent assurance your board should last at least a good 5-6 years.
  • Interesting. What counts as "more consumer oriented"? I looked @ their website and am assuming their "SuperWorkstations" are that.

The only problem I have with them, is the one case I have from them is annoyingly loud. Are they all like that?

-Q
  • Q, look on Newegg. You could use any case you want as long as it's an ATX board.

If you're going to spend a ton of money, don't buy an LGA1366 board. Wait for Sandy Bridge-E and LGA2011.

Honestly though I think a decent LGA1155 motherboard (Gigabyte UD series or Asus P8P67 series) with a Core i5 2500K / i7 2600K would be more than adequate. The money you'd spend on an LGA1366/2011 board + CPU would be better spent on a decent SSD, heatsink, case, power supply IMO.