SPAM names

QQ
edited October 2011 in Site Issues
I'm noticing alot of new users who are undoubtedly SPAMmers judging by their names and "Websites".

-Q

Comments

• Yes. There's about 25-50 spam registrations a day. I just keep deleting them all. They can't post since admin activation is enabled and going to a junk email address.

I keep an eye out for legit users, but I haven't seen a single one in the past two weeks.

I'm still in favor of switching to newer forum software, but that requires a collaborative effort that so far nobody has the time and/or motivation for. I think it'd help encourage people to post a bit more, and new users to register. Hell we could even enable guest posting if the anti-spam worked half decently.
  • Are you suggesting phpBB3 or something else entirely?
  • If you do need any help when you update the server software, I can lend a hand. Also you could you vBulletin. In the past I have used it and it has nice layouts, easy to use interface and a Ranking system.
  • phpBB2 already has all of those things.
  • phpBB3 has been suggested, but we've also been looking at other forum software.

At one point stitch and I also discussed getting a legit copy of IPB and using that.
  • IPB's really nice, it's solidly built, their support is excellent (even though we probably wouldn't use it), and the UI is amazing. Problem comes down to lack of PostgreSQL support.

Just to add, I will never consider vB. It has a god awful SQL structure and horribly inefficient queries.
  • is there really a reason we HAVENT gone phpbb3? i mean im all for nostalgia and that stuff, but this is getting outdated. i understand this is what we were using many years back, but its been almost 10 years, time to move on.
  • It's not even nostalgia, I really think phpbb3 is pretty clunky and has way more useless features than what we need.
  • Yeah all we need is something relatively simple that's easy to use, theme and administrate.