System Hangs

edited February 2012 in Hardware
Okay I've been firing off quite a few of my random hardware questions here lately and I've meant to include this one.

I got a Pentium II, for free, of course. It was a PROTEVA. Apparently a genuinely crappy company to get a PC from. But, it has a nice BIOS (it even lets me change the colors! XD), and it runs pretty well with a fresh install of Windows 98 SE.

Now I'm not going to throw this one out considering how long it took me to even find drivers for some of the *generic, unmarked* components. I had to use software to analyze some of it. I had to Google the chip number on the RAM of the video card only to find out it was made by Intel. Lol, Intel decided not to brand their AGP card. Oookay...

But though the drivers work I have some issues with this computer:
- DirectX games don't work. This is somewhat minor, but I wished they did. Any games with hardware acceleration and DX don't run, incl. Chocolate Doom and Need For Speed III and IV. Maybe the drivers are faulty.
- Random system hangs, usually with a lot of things open. I upgraded the original 64MB of RAM to 128MB, and ran 4 passes of memtest86+ without error. I've left this computer on for a few days at a time and it will be just fine. However, if I'm working on it (usually when Word '97 and Opera are open) the system hangs completely, with the HD access light on. Doesn't respond to anything, the numlock key doesn't even work, so I have to reset it every time.

I thought it was a dead PSU but I tested it and the voltages were not horribly off. 3.3V was 3.2, 12.0V was 12.3, and 5VSB and 5V were 5.0 and 4.9, respectively. Is it just running out of swapfile or something?

Comments

• i had the same problem with a computer once. it would hang up and me when i did thing with it. i found out i had to update the chipset on it because windows did have the right chipset driver for it. after i installed the chipset driver and rebooted it it found a lot of new hardware and install it. Of course i had to put windows 98 cd in so it could install some of the hardware. i would try that.
  • Hmm, I'll look into that. I did already however install the chipset drivers for the motherboard, I think.

In the meantime it's a PC for all but NFS High Stakes, which due to its age, is nothing. :D

I keep localized copies of the Win98 CD at C:\Windows\Win98 or on the network ;)
  • Check and see if your system hard drive has the correct DMA settings. Also do a full scandisk with surface checking.
  • Full surface scan: I've already done that, I will do it again.

DMA Settings: I honestly don't know what they're even supposed to be.
  • Generally turned on for your hard drive(s). On some systems you may also need to turn it on for DVD playback and some games, but I know there a re a few obscure titles which require it turned off. But I could not tell you what they were as I don't think I have any that are bothered about it.
  • Alright, thanks for the explanation. I guess first of all I should figure out what model this hard drive is, and work from there. I think it's a 40GB, which was strange to find in a PII with 64MB of RAM.
  • My 300 Mhz K6-2 with 128 MB of RAM had an 80 GB hard drive... I don't think it's very strange at all.
  • my older pc has a 450Mhz P3 with 256MBRam and 160GB HD
  • I guess, correction, surprised to see a 40GB in a Pentium II that crappy.
    Did I mention it was a Proteva? Has anyone even heard of a Proteva? The first Google Result is their consumer complaints page... :P

It makes a weird grinding noise, I meant to add. Probably the PSU fan. I think there's some sand or other crap in it. :lol:
  • Yeah Proteva's were every where in the early to mid 90's. Yeah sometimes a good tap on the fan sorts that out, but I find putting a small amount of WD40 on the fan followed by a small amount of hair clipper oil sorts out most erratic grating noises.
  • Thanks for the tip regarding the fan.

I've checked the BIOS and I feel like it's some setting in there (I'm still getting random hangs, but a new video card solved the video lockup problems with 3D graphics :D). I noticed that the SDRAM latency was set to "Turbo" so I put it to the default SDRAM 10ns. I don't know exactly what this setting is supposed to be... I know what CAS latency is for DDR RAM but for SDRAM I'd never thought of it...

It freezes when using Opera, I was just checking my email and then it locked up and I had to reset it. It does it on many different sites, but I don't think it's Opera itself causing a complete hang - if it were Opera I could probably still get some response from the PC.

note - accidentally posted as a guest, disregard that post if it's approved.
  • The next step would be to not use Opera at all, see if it hangs with IE/Firefox and if so then it's something Opera is working with or interacting with.

To eliminate the BIOS possibility, reset all the settings to fail safe / default settings. Most BIOS'es have these options in the BIOS themselves. This will eliminate a miss configured BIOS setting as the culprit.

As for the RAM being on "Turbo" depending on the chip you have in, it may or may not make a difference, having a 66Mhz chip set to turbo may cause errors but a 100-133Mhz chip should of worked just fine. Any way your closer to a solution by narrowing down possibilities.
  • Ah, yeah it hangs just doing anything - usually when multitasking a bit (i.e. file transfer & Opera, etc.)

It's hung even without using Opera. The RAM modules are PC100, I set it back to SDRAM 10ns and it hasn't changed much. I'm going to reseat the new video card now. It never hangs under real load (i.e. playing NFS), only when doing semi-stressful tasks or really nothing at all.

It also can't suspend now, I don't know why.
  • crapp... I figured out the Standby issue. I first terminated all the processes other than Explorer and Systray, that didn't work... then I checked Device Manager to uninstall the graphics card and apparently I'm getting a Code 10 on the Primary IDE controller. Uh oh.

*YEAH*. I need updated *IDE* drivers. God, Win98, it's nice when it works :P

EDIT: researching this issue. What scares me is that it's a *new* issue. :|
  • Simply load the system in Safe mode, delete/un-install any and all IDE interface drivers and reboot. This may remove the problem, also a mis-configured clock speed can sometimes cause these kinds of errors. Check FSB and ratio settings, either jumpers or via BIOS.
  • Ohh shoot, that was my fault... I turned the FSB up to 103 MHz from 100 MHz, semi-accidentally, but immediately booted to BIOS and reset the settings afterwards. This was before that problem. I'll try booting into safe mode now, in the meantime I remanufactured the whole thing and cleaned the dust out, which had accumulated.

Unfortunately, now I have it on my testing bench hooked up to a different (CRT) monitor. Everything displays fine during POST, and the Windows splash screen shows up, but afterwards the monitor powers off as if the PC shut off video output. I don't have the VGA cable screwed in but reseating it hasn't helped. It happens on every boot - maybe I"ll try safe mode next - I really just want to back it up to a USB drive and wipe the disk if I can...

I think the monitor's OK, I hope the video card is seated correctly. I guess I'll reseat the card yet again...

EDIT: darn, MouseKeys isn't allowed... in safe mode with no mouse :(
    EDIT 2: Video works in safe mode. Maybe 1024x768 was screwing with the CRT. Odd though as the CRT has displayed 1024x768 fine before.
  • Okay, so I reset the CMOS as a side effect of replacing the battery, and i reseated all the expansion cards. One thing that's bothering me is that apparently all drivers I installed manually for the expansion cards aren't working (i.e. apparently display driver, NIC driver, parallel PCI card driver, etc.)
  • One thing you could try is booting lubuntu or bohdi from a CD and see if the crt shuts off, the device drivers fail or the PC hangs during use. If it happens then it's a hardware problem or misconfiguration. But if it doesn't happen then it's a software issue.
  • Just reinstall them but that shouldn't of happened as long as you put the cards back into the same slots.

Can you take a screen cap of your device manager with all branches expanded, so we can see what it's saying.
  • Hm, as usual, I've diluted the actual problem - the information isn't contained entirely within this thread, and there are additional problems.

Just to get some things out of the way: it's the Proteva. I've posted about it in another topic as well. I am pretty sure I put the cards back in the same slots, I might have switched the PCI ethernet with the PCI sound card, but I'm unsure.

Basically this PC worked fine aside from occasional hangs when browsing and writing stuff (really never had it hang when running bootable diagnostics or playing games, only within Windows. Hopefully just a drive issue...) It hung with both the old video card (Intel740 8MB AGP crap) and the newer one (ATi Rage 128 Pro 16MB), at completely random times.

That problem wasn't so bad. However, one time *completely out of the blue* I couldn't suspend. Suspend always worked before, but one time after rebooting I was told by Windows that a device driver or program was preventing the PC from entering suspend. I checked device manager and I saw the listing:

Primary IDE controller (dual fifo), with a Code 10 error. This was new as well, and likely causing the problem.

Before this I'd tried to install Lubuntu and gotten package corruption errors while installing from the CD. I also was told during partitioning that the free space was being reported wrongly, which I ignored (I probably shouldn't have...). I also turned the FSB up to 103 MHz from 100 MHz, for about 4 seconds of running time, as I did it as a test and disabled that setting in BIOS after the first POST with it at 103 (never ran Windows or anything).

So there are a LOT of possible problems. BTW I was using a Lubuntu 10.10 *alternate* CD before, so I might try the live CD later, but there's only 128mb of ram so I'm not sure if that would work.

Anyway - the latest problem is I can't boot from the Ultimate Boot CD which I had done earlier, for diagnostics.
    When loading, I get this message as I posted in another thread:
    ISOLINUX 4.0.4 2011-04-18 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter NAnvin et al
    aborted.
    boot: _
    I tried giving it 15 minutes and it stayed at the flashing cursor. I don't know what to type at the boot prompt. Didn't hit any keys while it was loading. If I type "isolinux" at the boot prompt it re-displays the message.

My current plan is to figure out the bootable CD problem, then wipe the HD, and install Win98 again. I'm a little tired with this one by now, but at least I have all the drivers on the network so it shouldn't be so bad this time.

I will try, when I can, to boot to the Lubuntu CD again. But my guess is I will get the same error... as it probably uses ISOLINUX as well, and the Proteva couldn't boot to a re-burn of UBCD either, at 8X.
  • edited January 2012
    Easiest option then is to use a bootable floppy, if you are going to wipe it anyway. Then regardless of reading the CD you can Fdisk or format and then copy the Win98 files to the hard drive and install from there. I always copy the files over on a drive big enough it saves a lot of hassle especially when installing from a floppy if it doesn't load the drivers during the GUI part of install.
  • Great idea. I will look into that today. However I've first got some hardware considerations to figure out ... Mainly I can't get the HD LED to work which is mildly annoying as the power LED is already broken. As I posted in another thread I can't find a diagram other than the one on the board itself for the front panel... If I messed up the +/- ends of the LED did I fry it? Because I switched it and it still doesn't work.

That and I may try another CD-ROM drive.

But while I like the idea of a floppy boot, how would I copy the Win98 setup files (on a CD) to the hard disk, without using the network? And if I run Setup from the HD, then why wouldn't drivers be installed automatically during Setup? (How does Setup know it's being run from the C: drive, and why would it care?) OR (sorry, last question) is there a command-line switch for Setup that bypasses hardware recognition?
  • Boot with the floppy, partition and format the drive the way you want it. Then you can use a TCP/IP boot disk to mount a shared folder so you can copy the files to the hard disk.

Setup doesn't care if it's run from the C: or not.

As far as the LED goes, switching the polarity doesn't usually fry them. At least, in my experience. I always used to get it wrong the first time and then have to reverse the connector. Never fried the LED...
  • Well when booting from a true Win98 boor disk it contains the CD drivers. So you can access the optical drive from the dos prompt.

So boot up from the floppy and use FDISK to make your partition(s). You have to reboot your system once you have made the partitions before you can format. Once rebooted format your partition(s).

Now with the drive freshly formatted, navigate to your desired partition, in this case C:. Then using the md command make a directory called anything you want. I use W98.
    With that done, navigate to your CD drive, usually E: on a floppy booted system based on a system with one physical partition as C:, then a ram disk as D: (created as part of the floppy system to hold other programs for recovery/install) and then the optical drive as E:.

Again Navigate into the Win98 folder, then issue a Copy *.* command and tell it to transfer the files to the W98 folder on your hard drive. Once copied navigate over to the W98 folder and start Setup.exe from there. Makes the install slightly faster especially if your install files are on a 2nd physical drive, as hard drives read faster than CD drives, or at least back in the day this was the case.

As for the CD drivers, it may just be me, but sometimes when I have used a floppy and ran setup straight form the CD when it restarts and loads the graphical portion of setup it hasn't installed the optical drive yet. So I copy windows over to a simple file usually on the root of a drive, then I just type C:\W98 and hey presto it's getting the files it needs.

I've had this same phenomenon happen on Win95 and ME as well and like I say I don't know why it does it, so I just make sure I have a copy of the OS files for easy access.

Makes life easier since you don't have to go hunting down for the CD as well, I do this with all 3.x-9x Windows, even sometimes Win2000.

I tend to leave setup as normal but I do use the /iv switch as it stops the billboard video from running during setup, which allows it to get on with the install and saves time, from 3 to 10 minutes depending on how fast the comp is.

http://www.theosfiles.com/os_windows/os ... p_switches

Most of the switches are listed here.
  • Thanks for the help everyone, I've since demolished the Proteva and thrown out the case. I couldn't stand that thing.

I finally got everything running, the UBCD spontaneously worked again, fixed the HDD light, and then the one problem? The system would hang. Every time. I opened. Opera. Preferences. That was the kill switch for me, can't live without Opera on that thing... it happened on 10.00 and newer, and I don't like Opera 9. Well its parts now reside in my drawer of expansion cards.