Problems registering...

edited June 2012 in Site Issues
I tried to register. I filled in everything. Including typing the password a second time correctly. I confirmed my E-mail adress, correctly.

Then I had to drag things that aren't abandonware into a right-hand column. I tried to drag things that weren't Abandonware into Not Abandonware. I couldn't just by dragging the box once. Then I dragged everything into Abandonware. Then I dragged Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Office 2010 back into Not Abandonware. Everything else- DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Mac OS 8 was left into Abandonware.

The Registration informed I had done it wrong. My registration was not accepted upon pressing Submit.

Well, what definition of abandonware does Winworldpc use anyway? Windows 7 can still be bought in the stores; Apple is working on a new version of Mac OS X, 10.8 (called Mountain Lion); and Microsoft Office 2010 can be bought as it is the newest version. No newer version has been released yet. And if Windows 95, and Mac OS 8 aren't abandonware what are they? You can't buy Windows 95 in the stores, nor can you buy Mac OS 8 in the stores either. Apple does not sell Mac OS 8. They do intend to, however, sell Mountain Lion in the App Store in July (source: http://www.apple.com/macosx). And offer a upgrade to Mountain Lion with new Macs (also http://www.apple.com/macosx). Neither of those are avaible for Mac OS 8. In short, it's impossible to buy Mac OS 8 the official way (stores or from Apple).

Winworldpc includes Mac OS 8 for download here. Mirror One, directory Abandonware Operating Systems/Macintosh/

Both Mac OS 8.0 and 8.1 can be downloaded.

Winworldpc features a download of Windows 95. Mirror One, directory /Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/Microsoft Windows/Windows 95/.

Therefore, I think this means Winworldpc considers both abandonware,

As for DOS 6.22, I don't even know for how long it has not been for sale. Same for Windows 3.1. Therefore they are guaranteedly abandonware.

How are my answers not correct?

Then a new box came asking me what ingredients are needed to make milk and cereals.

I chose milk and cereals. This time, it was accepted. But then I got a error message:

General Error
Unable to remove files within ./cache/. Please check directory permissions.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@winboards.net

The address for the web page it happened was: ucp.php?mode=register

Therefore, I couldn't register. At least it seems I can post as a guest, unlike most web boards I have seen where guests can reply to topics but not make new ones. I actually like this, and I am using it to tell how my registration didn't work. I tried to register because I have done on all other forums I have posted on, and because I think you are supposed to do it before posting (most forums require it. At least in my experience).

It seems posting without registration has the same thing with Not Abandonware- Abandonware. Except here I saw Not Abandonware is in the first column; you can't drag not abandonware products into Not Abandonware because they are already there! Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, Mac OS X - none of them are abandonware. The rest? Can be downloaded from here.

Also, my mother said this while helping me with what the right hand column is:

The instructions say that youre supposed to put software that isn't abandonware in the right hand column. Except that she says right is on the side which is titled Abandonware! Therefore, the instructions say you have to put software that isn't abandonware on the right, while it is titled Abandonware. The title Not Abandonware is on the left, for which you don't have any instructions to put programs that aren't abandonware there.

Therefore, I may have to put all programs/ operating systems that are currently sold in physical stores that sell computer products into Abandonware! That was my mothers suggestion. Into Not Abandonware go all operating systems that are no longer sold like Windows 95 (?).

Comments

• Okay first, this was way more complex of a post than it needs to be. If I understand correctly, registration is broken, along with several other things such as avatar uploading which I noted after we 'moved' WinBoards.

You were doing the Sortables CAPTCHA correctly, there's obviously just a bug. Nonetheless I'll look at the options and see if I can make them more obvious.

I'll wait for stitch's input but my guess is the move messed up some of the directory permissions and/or forum settings. Regardless I can't make any changes to shit in the winboards directory (was going to fix the menu image bug yesterday) and quite honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable fucking around with whatever is wrong now.

stitch is Linux savvy, I'm not, so just keep posting as a guest in the meantime until stitch can be bothered to take a look. We don't frown upon, in fact we encourage guest posting if people don't want to register.
  • Yeah, sadly the migration broke my account so I can no longer log in.

Such a sad day, Oh well,

Stitch I herd is quite busy so we just have to wait and see.
    I guess he is running around with lilo