[RESOLVED] Download Speed of the Chicago mirror

edited July 2012 in Site Issues
Why is the download speed of Mirror 2 only about 25 kb/s? I'm trying to download Mac OS 7.1 and it's taking half an hour!

Comments

• Half an hour? God no!
  • Guest wrote:
    Why is the download speed of Mirror 2 only about 25 kb/s? I'm trying to download Mac OS 7.1 and it's taking half an hour!

Because you get this shit for free.

ADD: I've loosened some legacy speed restrictions that were in place. Still be advised you get this shit for free. If you enjoy bitching about speeds on shit you get for free, I can go enjoy adding your IP to my iptables drop chain =)
  • stitch wrote:
    Guest wrote:

I'm thinking of the same for why the download speed from WinWorld's mirrors is less than 1/8 of the download speed from most websites and "Because you get this ████ for free." is not a good answer. For those who own the servers, what are your Internet Service Providers' advertised upload speeds for your current plan and how fast is the processor, what type of RAM do the servers use, and how many RPM is the hard drive?
  • svrex wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    Guest wrote:

I'm thinking of the same for why the download speed from WinWorld's mirrors is less than 1/8 of the download speed from most websites and "Because you get this ████ for free." is not a good answer. For those who own the servers, what are your Internet Service Providers' advertised upload speeds for your current plan and how fast is the processor, what type of RAM do the servers use, and how many RPM is the hard drive?

Oh you silly silly kid. As far as the Chicago mirror goes, I own that (Rioter owns the mirror in France). It's running on a C2D E6600 with 3GB DDR2 and 7200RPM SATA II drives. My ISP (AS32748) does not advertise speeds as it's not residental internet (but rather in a colocation facility). The fact that I intentionally rate limit the downloads aside, I've successfully pulled several hundred mbit down and up on speed tests. It is a more than capable server on a more than capable network.

If you do not like my answer, the alternative is to sponsor additional bandwidth at the cost of $15/mbit on the 95%tile system or use the mirror in France where it's not premium bandwidth at a premium price.
  • Gotta love how he blanks out "shit" in his post, but not in the quote.
  • I love his blatant advertisement in his signature.
  • Like they say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth!" Don't bitch because it's downloading slow at lease it's free and you got a place to get old stuff from. Not many places like this left out there. Because one of you might bitch to much and they might just pull the plug on this.