Clock battery

edited December 2012 in Hardware
Ok i have a 1997 Dell Optiplex GX Pro and when i first got it working it didn't keep the time or settings
so i put a new clock battery in it but it still wont keep the date or setting!!!!!
Someone please help!

Comments

• You have provided no information that i can use to help you
  • It might be due to a number of reasons, first it could be that the clock battery you replaced it with might have been the incorrect type, not enough voltage fon the battery might not keep the internal clock going. Another might be that the CMOS might have gone bad, so settings might not stay after poweroff (this would likely result in a checksum error during POST).
    A problem I encountered with a piece of old hardware once was old capacitors. The electrolytes in them could deplete, causing problems everywhere. That would be noticed though with windows bombing over APM or ACPI settings, so that might be out of the question.
  • it doesnt give me checksome errors it might be the battery
  • nearly every CMOS battery I've seen (this excludes old laptops) is a CR2032. Make sure what you installed was actually a CR2032. Additionally, I haven't seen the settings lost on *every* boot, even with no battery installed, normally it only gets reset if the computer's power source is interrupted.
  • If a system hasn't got a clock battery installed and the system is physicaly removed from power i.e turned off at the main or plug removed, then yes it will looose the settings everytime you go back to it.

It should be a regular CR2032 watch battery. I think Dell had been using them for quite a bit in the desktop units by 1997. You may have inserted it the wrong way as said or put a CR2016 which are similar in size but just that bit smaller.
  • hmm i will check thanks for the advice!!!!
  • I would also check to see if the battery is making good contact to the battery post too. i had that problem once before.