Green hard drives- good or bad?

edited January 2013 in Hardware
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShoc ... 12312012_2

Should I? I need storage space, not speed, but I don't want one that dies quickly. I read somewhere that because they park their heads more often than normal drives, green hard drives are known to die faster than normal drives. But the price is just right, and I'm not using it as a boot drive..

Comments

• I've been using a 2TB Caviar Green for well over a year now without any problems. I don't think they are any more prone to failure than any other mechanical hard drive.
  • I haven't heard anything negative about their lifespan. But I will tell you a green drive will probably be much slower (more comparable to a laptop drive) because they're usually 5400RPM instead of 7200RPM.
  • My current OS X drive and storage drive is a laptop drive. I'm looking to get a second 1TB drive for OS X and assorted programs, and the green one for storage. :D
  • As I understand it, WD green drives are meant for storage use and actually optimized for use in RAIDs, similar to their red and RE drives. They just use slightly different materials which are more eco friendly.

I don't think laptop drives are necessarily slower these days. It depends on what you get. I have a 7200 RPM drive in my laptop. It's also a hybrid SSD, so it's not really slower than a desktop drive. Also, it's becoming incorrect to refer to a 2.5" drive as a laptop drive because the trend now-a-days is to use 2.5" drives in desktops and servers. Especially servers.
  • There's a 2.5 in my desktop now, although I want it back in my laptop, lol. Hence why I'm looking at drives. :P