Put files on my website

edited August 2013 in Offers & Requests
Hi,

I am teaching a class about computer history, and I am planning on having students do a project of downloading 5 of their favorite operating systems (windows 1 - 2000) and tell me how those 5 changed, and how it changed from windows 7. I was reading the forum and reading how you have bandwidth problems, that you dont want people using to much bandwidth. Is there somehow I can use wget or FTP to only download a copy from your server once, then have the students use my server to download?

Thanks,
AJ

Comments

  • Feel free to locally mirror whatever you need for your course on your server. We're mainly just annoyed and concerned with Russian sites that link direct to our downloads for public consumption.
  • I created an account so my username changed.

    Is there any way that I can get the files directly from your server to mine, my home ISP has a small bandwidth so I can't download everything then re-upload it. I tried wget, but it always says " wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... 5.25%29.7z: command not found".
  • Install wget into the webserver using it's package manager or attempt using curl:

    curl -o ./path/to/local/file.7z [url=http://wdl2.winworldpc.com...]http://wdl2.winworldpc.com...[/url].
  • stitch wrote:
    Install wget into the webserver using it's package manager or attempt using curl:

    curl -o ./path/to/local/file.7z [url=http://wdl2.winworldpc.com...]http://wdl2.winworldpc.com...[/url].

    I do have wget installed, it just will not work for your server because the file names have spaces (I think that is the reason). Also curl in the ssh console will not work too.
  • Have you tried enclosing the URL in quotes?

    EDIT: I just tried without quotes on one of my servers and it worked fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work on yours. Can you provide more information about your server? What OS / distro is installed?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Have you tried enclosing the URL in quotes?

    EDIT: I just tried without quotes on one of my servers and it worked fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work on yours. Can you provide more information about your server? What OS / distro is installed?

    Im not sure how to find what OS the server is running, I did find out this if it helps: Linux srv26.******.com 2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 23 19:29:00 UTC 2013 x86_64

    What did you type into your SSH console to make it work?
    When i run the Wordpress plugin WP System Health, it says my server software is Apache.

    In my PHP info it says that cURL is enabled, but how do I use it?

    cURL support enabled
    cURL Information 7.19.7
  • I just typed:
    wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z
    

    And it worked fine.

    From what you've provided, you're definitely running Linux. Try running wget by itself without a file name and see what you get. If it is installed, perhaps its not in your path?
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I just typed:
    wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z
    

    And it worked fine.

    From what you've provided, you're definitely running Linux. Try running wget by itself without a file name and see what you get. If it is installed, perhaps its not in your path?

    Here is what it says without the URL:
    "[/home/u71*****06/] wget
    wget: missing URL
    Usage: wget [OPTION]... ...

    Try `wget --help' for more options."

    I know wget is working because to test it downloaded Ubuntu, and it worked. Can one of the admins give me a read-only FTP account, so I can copy from your FTP to mine?
  • So you have wget installed and it is working, so there should really be no reason why you can't wget the file. Does it work if you copy and paste the command I posted above, exactly? Since I know the command I posted works (I literally copy and pasted it from my bash history).
  • BlueSun wrote:
    So you have wget installed and it is working, so there should really be no reason why you can't wget the file. Does it work if you copy and paste the command I posted above, exactly? Since I know the command I posted works (I literally copy and pasted it from my bash history).

    I tried to run the command that you had above and it still did not work, I even tried it with quotes just to make sure and it still did not work.
    I also tried entering it exactly how it appears and I get this:
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/] wget [http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/Microsoft Windows/Windows NT3/Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server (3.10.5098.1).7z]
    sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    sh: -c: line 0: `cd /home/u8*****559/; sudo -u u8*****559 -S wget [http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/Microsoft Windows/Windows NT3/Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server (3.10.5098.1).7z]'
  • Are you escaping the filename in quotes?

    Try wget "http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/Microsoft Windows/Windows NT3/Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server (3.10.5098.1).7z"
  • ok, I see the problem. You're not entering it exactly like I did, you're getting rid of the %20's and replacing them with spaces which is why it's failing. You're also enclosing the URL in brackets for some reason.

    Just get rid of the brackets and use quotes.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Are you escaping the filename in quotes?

    Try wget "http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware Operating Systems/PC/Microsoft Windows/Windows NT3/Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server (3.10.5098.1).7z"

    Okay, I tried that but it just says command not found. I did find out that my server does not accept spaces, it just tried to resolve http://abandonware/ which does not work. It also does not accept %20 or (). When I tried a file with no () in it, and replace all the spaces with underscores it connects to the server, but then gives a 404 error because it cant find any folder with underscores (as expected). I think there is something wrong with my server or something and i just can't do it. Is there any other way?
    Also, when i just type in wget it says:
    Usage: wget [OPTION]... ...

    Try `wget --help' for more options.

    So it tells me to use brackets.
  • u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/] wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z
    -bash: wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z: command not found
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/]
    
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/] wget "http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z"
    -bash: wget "http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z": command not found
    

    That is what it says when I try to use the command BlueSun told me, I also tried with quotes. Is there anything else i can do?
  • vmhost1:~# wget http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z
    --2013-08-14 19:24:24--  http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware%20Operating%20Systems/PC/Microsoft%20Windows/Windows%201-2/Microsoft%20Windows%201.02%20%285.25%29.7z
    Resolving wdl2.winworldpc.com (wdl2.winworldpc.com)... 188.165.53.103
    Connecting to wdl2.winworldpc.com (wdl2.winworldpc.com)|188.165.53.103|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 540793 (528K) [application/x-7z-compressed]
    Saving to: `Microsoft Windows 1.02 (5.25).7z'
    
    100%[======================================>] 540,793      595K/s   in 0.9s
    
    2013-08-14 19:24:25 (595 KB/s) - `Microsoft Windows 1.02 (5.25).7z' saved [540793/540793]
    
    vmhost1:~#
    

    I literally copy and pasted when you quoted. So the command itself works fine. Something is jacking up your wget commands. Type "alias" (no quotes) and paste the output.

    For example:
    vmhost1:~# alias
    alias cls='clear'
    alias dl='aria2c --check-certificate=false --file-allocation=none --max-connection-per-server=4'
    vmhost1:~#
    
  • Here is what it said:
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/] 
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/] alias
    -bash: alias: command not found
    u8*****559$ [/home/u8*****559/]
    

    But it does work, i downloaded Wordpress:
    u835780559$ [/home/u835780559/] 
    u835780559$ [/home/u835780559/] wget http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz
    --2013-08-14 23:07:11--  http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz
    Resolving wordpress.org... 66.155.40.249, 66.155.40.250
    Connecting to wordpress.org|66.155.40.249|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 4028740 (3.8M) [application/x-gzip]
    Saving to: `latest.tar.gz'
    
         0K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  1% 1.25M 3s
        50K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  2%  690K 4s
       100K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  3% 59.1M 3s
       150K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  5%  694K 3s
       200K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  6% 46.8M 3s
       250K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  7%  119M 2s
       300K .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........  8%  695K 3s
       350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 10% 67.4M 2s
       400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 11% 79.1M 2s
       450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 12%  709K 2s
       500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 13% 34.0M 2s
       550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 15%  131M 2s
       600K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 16% 72.5M 2s
       650K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 17%  105M 2s
       700K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 19%  717K 2s
       750K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 20%  115M 2s
       800K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 21% 47.0M 1s
       850K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 22%  160M 1s
       900K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 24% 68.2M 1s
       950K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 25% 72.3M 1s
      1000K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 26%  107M 1s
      1050K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 27% 1.23M 1s
      1100K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 29% 1.65M 1s
      1150K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 30% 55.9M 1s
      1200K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 31% 55.1M 1s
      1250K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 33%  107M 1s
      1300K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 34% 78.8M 1s
      1350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 35%  122M 1s
      1400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 36% 79.7M 1s
      1450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 38% 78.7M 1s
      1500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 39% 48.3M 1s
      1550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 40% 1.31M 1s
      1600K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 41%  102M 1s
      1650K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 43% 1.62M 1s
      1700K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 44% 44.7M 1s
      1750K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 45%  106M 1s
      1800K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 47% 64.0M 1s
      1850K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 48% 98.9M 1s
      1900K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 49%  166M 1s
      1950K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 50% 95.4M 1s
      2000K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 52% 97.9M 1s
      2050K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 53% 63.1M 0s
      2100K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 54%  134M 0s
      2150K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 55% 1.31M 0s
      2200K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 57% 1.61M 0s
      2250K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 58% 52.5M 0s
      2300K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 59% 85.7M 0s
      2350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 61% 75.7M 0s
      2400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 62% 76.8M 0s
      2450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 63% 55.0M 0s
      2500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 64%  113M 0s
      2550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 66% 51.8M 0s
      2600K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 67% 89.6M 0s
      2650K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 68% 99.1M 0s
      2700K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 69% 1.34M 0s
      2750K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 71% 1.61M 0s
      2800K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 72% 51.7M 0s
      2850K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 73% 96.6M 0s
      2900K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 74% 52.8M 0s
      2950K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 76% 61.6M 0s
      3000K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 77% 62.3M 0s
      3050K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 78% 46.4M 0s
      3100K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 80%  121M 0s
      3150K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 81% 81.0M 0s
      3200K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 82% 68.2M 0s
      3250K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 83% 1.37M 0s
      3300K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 85% 1.72M 0s
      3350K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 86% 17.2M 0s
      3400K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 87% 53.7M 0s
      3450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 88% 51.7M 0s
      3500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 90% 56.5M 0s
      3550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 91% 57.1M 0s
      3600K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 92% 79.8M 0s
      3650K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 94% 73.2M 0s
      3700K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 95% 52.0M 0s
      3750K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 96%  101M 0s
      3800K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 97% 1.43M 0s
      3850K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 99% 25.2M 0s
      3900K .......... .......... .......... ....                 100% 1.22M=0.8s
    
    2013-08-14 23:07:13 (4.59 MB/s) - `latest.tar.gz' saved [4028740/4028740]
    
    
    u835780559$ [/home/u835780559/]
    

    Can you put Windows 1 into a public folder on your server, but in the filename and directories take out spaces, dash, and parentheses, so I can test if that is the problem.
  • AJ77 wrote:
    Can you put Windows 1 into a public folder on your server, but in the filename and directories take out spaces, dash, and parentheses, so I can test if that is the problem.

    The server I used in my tests is a VM host and is not publicly accessible. So, no, I can't. And while I could make one that is publicly accessible, I'm not going to. I will, however, continue to try to assist you as best as I can.

    If you believe that the issue is caused by spaces in the URL, you could try using an URL shortener such as http://bit.ly

    For example:
    wget -O "Microsoft Windows 1.02 (5.25).7z" http://bit.ly/126sKsJ
    
  • I've put these commands through about 5 distros and 2 BSD variants and I can't recreate this. I'm sure there's a problem with a .bashrc file or something.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    AJ77 wrote:
    Can you put Windows 1 into a public folder on your server, but in the filename and directories take out spaces, dash, and parentheses, so I can test if that is the problem.

    The server I used in my tests is a VM host and is not publicly accessible. So, no, I can't. And while I could make one that is publicly accessible, I'm not going to. I will, however, continue to try to assist you as best as I can.

    If you believe that the issue is caused by spaces in the URL, you could try using an URL shortener such as http://bit.ly

    For example:
    wget -O "Microsoft Windows 1.02 (5.25).7z" http://bit.ly/126sKsJ
    

    That worked! I put one of the operating systems through bit.ly and I made wget get that url, and it worked! Thanks so much for your help!
  • Of course, it doesn't solve the issue that your wget is still jacked up, but I'm glad it solved the immediate problem.
  • I'm thinking it's his shell - there were spaces in those quotes there, and the lack of 'alias' confused me.

    Probably ancient bash on an ancient nix.
Sign In or Register to comment.