Microsoft Windows 95C (4.03.1216.osr2.5) is broken

edited June 2014 in Software
At first it looks like the install is working, but then after the install is almost done and it has to reboot, when the reboot is done it says it's missing files, and needs to access them. It can't find them anywhere. The files it can't find start with pcntnd.dos and it is expecting to find it on a floppy disk (Disk 18 to be exact), of course I can't give it the floppy image because this is an ISO. It appears that this is a hacked ISO, created from extracting the content of all the floppies, and and putting them into an ISO. I already tried the Win95B floppies (which does include a Disk18) but these don't work as valid substitutes. Now I think that there is a legit Win95C install CD that exists and it has one bootable floppy to go with it, but this is not that version. This is a bootable CD which is a MAJOR CLUE that this is NOT a legit copy, so of course there's gonna be tons of bugs from doing it this way.

I'm hoping that there is SOMEONE out there with a correct copy of this in one of its 2 only legit forms:
20+ floppy images (the first of which is bootable)
1 bootable floppy image and 1 CD with all the files to be installed.

And I want it specifically to be Win95C (not Win95 or Win95B). I already got working copies of Win95 and Win95B from WinWorld, but have no clue where to get a working copy of WIn95C (in fact WinWorld is the only place I've seen that has Win95C in any condition). Now I know this may be a tough request, but I would like all of you here at WinWorld to go into your closets, boxes, and other dusty storage containers, and search with all of your might, until you find your copy of this, to replace the horribly broken copy that is here on WinWorld.

I've just GOTTA get a copy of this.

And by the way, the link to the broken copy here is http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... r2.5%29.7z

Comments

• I've just GOTTA get a copy of this.

No life much?
  • Just to let you know, I found that the regular Win95 has trouble as well. I wiped the virtual harddrive and started fresh with just plain Win95 (no B or C). It has a proper boot disk and 13 data disks. As with the Win95C I was complaining about above, this older plain Win95 after reboot as part of setup it asked for one of the data disks to copy a particular file (icmp.dll) on Disk 12. Problem is that even when I put that disk image in VirtualBox's floppydrive, it still says it can't find the file. And I'm directing it to Drive A just as I should where it asks for the file's path. Yes the file technically isn't just sitting in the floppy, it's in a CAB file on the floppy, but the installer should know to decompress the CAB file.

Either this is also a corrupt copy of Win95, or there is something incompatible with VirtualBox and Win95, or else there is something else I'm somehow not doing right.

Any idea what's going wrong here?
  • 95 and 98 needing files and not being able to find them after reboot is a VERY common problem with virtual machines, some real hardware too.

The easiest solution is to use the boot floppy, make sure you have cd-rom support, copy the win95 folder to the hard drive, and invoke the setup that way.
  • 95 and 98 needing files and not being able to find them after reboot is a VERY common problem with virtual machines, some real hardware too.

The easiest solution is to use the boot floppy, make sure you have cd-rom support, copy the win95 folder to the hard drive, and invoke the setup that way.
    Yes, I stated this in my how to also.
  • He's referring to this