Computer Trouble

edited December 2014 in Hardware
So, lately I've ran into an issue with my computer.
When I try to shutdown Windows it gets stuck at the Shutting Down message and goes no further.
When I try to restart it the screen goes black after the Shutting Down message and just sits there; the power supply is still running and the lights are on
The same thing happens when I do the same in Ubuntu Linux x64.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Id say troubles with the Hard Drive or Motherboard. May we have the specs of the comp
  • Do you have a BIOS/EFI update that you can apply? Re-seat your power supply connector and then apply that if it does not help. It sounds like your board is not sending the proper signal to the PSU to shut off.
  • It could be a cheap PSU. Thermaltake Smart M-Series 650W Power Supply is what it states in his Sig and it is a rather cheap and bad looking PSU not seen any reviews though
  • The trouble this caused me
    By S. R. Jenkins on 25 April 2014
    Verified Purchase
    I was building a NEW computer from scratch which I just could not get to boot up - Tried 3 different motherboaards and CPU's and 1 different power supply (Amazon was very good with replacements) all the indications were that the power supply was OK It lit up all the lights and powered all the cooling fans (so did the first) - Finally gave up and took it into a shop for a second opinion - was convinced that it had to be my fault. Yes the power supply proved to be faulty when I had honestly thought that I was buying the best - No I didn't get a 3rd Thermaltake replacement I opted for an OCZ

This is a review i found online of his CPU
  • Could be very much the power supply but also with Linux I have ran into many systems that require a special syntax to be included in the GRUB bootloader. In the grub file located in /etc/default/grub you would have to add to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line acpi=force. Look like this.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

then save exit and issue "sudo update-grub" then reboot.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Could be very much the power supply but also with Linux I have ran into many systems that require a special syntax to be included in the GRUB bootloader. In the grub file located in /etc/default/grub you would have to add to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line acpi=force. Look like this.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

then save exit and issue "sudo update-grub" then reboot.

However, he runs both Windows and Linux. This means this probably won't fix his problem, as it also doesn't work on Windows.
  • Well I suggest to try adding that option in Linux first and see it works. Once in a blue moon Windows's shutdown scheme could break, by a virus or something.
  • I think it's your HD that went wrong. Try to update driver to your HD and see if it works.
  • Turns out I had the audio cables on the motherboard switched around.
    Computer is working fine now.