NEC ProSpeed 386sx

edited March 2015 in Hardware
I found this at a flea market for 40 dollars with bag. Anyway, it doesn't work even boot up when connected to power, and I need some help. Could this be caused by the AC adapter, or the power supply itself?

Comments

• A quick google on this seems it hasn't got an AC adaptor as such, it's just a straight standard C13 connector cable like any other computer PSU. You'll probably need to open it up and start tinkering, although with something that's going to be 20+ years old, you might end up in blown caps heaven.
  • electrolytic capacitors have a life span of a dog. Chances are they're blown but if you're handy with a soldering iron you can change them out.

If they look like these then they're blown
    Samsung_TV_Failure_More_Capacitors.jpg
    You want them to look like the bottom right one, flat top.
  • They don't even have to look like that to be bad. I've seen plenty that are waaay out of spec but look perfectly fine.
  • But it's a good start on what to look at. If all looks fine then he might have to start probing with a multimeter.
  • You can tell if it's really wrong because of capacitor sploodge everywhere. That will rot out traces and corrode pins if left unchecked. It is possible to clean the board with water and replacing capacitors. (and traces, if it's REAL bad)
  • A few times I had to scrape the soldier mask away and use jumper wire as replacement traces. it's hard to do in tight spaces and on modern hardware.
  • I much prefer working on older hardware. All through hole and huge traces ftw.