Old Windows NT machines

I would like to get two old computers that can run Windows NT4 Workstation and Windows 2000 Professional each. My opinion is that these two OSes are left behind when people discuss old Windows versions; instead, Windows 9x tends to be discussed.
I am aiming to get high-spec computers, but I do not know about OS-processor compatibility as well as practical RAM amounts. I plan to use powerful applications such as Visual Studio .NET.

Thank you for assistance.

Comments

• For the RAM, around 64-128MB upto 256MB at maximum is fine for Windows 9x.

Regarding the processor, I recall these WinNT4/2000 complatible PCs were mainly Pentium-III, if so then you'll be able to run 9x fine. If it's Windows 98/98 Second Edition I think it can handle upto Pentium 4 with no exceeding of 2GHz clock? Probably you'll need to lower RAM to 32~64MB for Windows 95 though for best performance.
  • A bigger issue is finding NT 4/2000 drivers for the video, audio, and hard drive controller. I'd suggest a computer that has as little as possible on the motherboard so you can swap cards if needed.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    A bigger issue is finding NT 4/2000 drivers for the video, audio, and hard drive controller. I'd suggest a computer that has as little as possible on the motherboard so you can swap cards if needed.
    Drivers will be a problem indeed... any suggestions where can I find them for such old systems? I plan on installing the OSes from scratch.
  • Honestly, I'd go for a P3 based system. The Ethernet controller in my P3 (a EherLink XL) supports NT 3.51 through WIndows 7 with the XP driver. The RTL-8139 is very long lived and well supported for years. Sound and video is trickier, but VESA drivers exist for a faster framebuffer.
  • The fastest hardware I ran with Win2k was a early AMD Athlon 64 with a Gigabyte brand mobo that used a nforce 3 150 chipset. Couldn't get the SATA to work in Win2k but I was able to use the built in PATA Raid.

If anything find a motherboard that has a few PCI/AGP slots so you can toss in some older cards for sound, video and ethernet.

Sometimes you can trick Win2k to use XP drivers. Sometimes you have to edit the INI file. Just be sure to use SP4.
  • edited September 2014
    I would like to get two old computers that can run Windows NT4 Workstation and Windows 2000 Professional each.
    Why not just try to find one that you can dual-boot? Like others said things in the P3 era will do fine. In my personal collection I have the HP E-Vectra/E-PC S10, so lovingly called Mini.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-E-VECTRA-Mod ... 1038220164
    Quick ebay shows a couple still around up there. They used HP laptop power cords so finding a charger should be easy enough.

Here is it's driver support page
    http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... .492883150

Its got lots of OS support. On mine I upgraded the CPU from a 566 celeron to a 933 P3, tribooting NT/98/2K.
    practical RAM amounts. I plan to use powerful applications such as Visual Studio .NET.
    http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/vsnet1 ... quirements
    Processor
    450 megahertz (MHz) Pentium II-class processor
    600 MHz Pentium III-class processor recommended

Memory

Visual Studio .NET 2003 minimum RAM requirements:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 — 160 megabytes (MB)
    Windows XP Professional — 160 MB
    Windows XP Home Edition — 96 MB
    Windows 2000 Professional — 96 MB
    Windows 2000 Server — 192 MB

I'd say you'll have plenty of power. Or if you are looking to get fancier for 2K at least, many Pentium M laptops will also have full 2k driver support.
  • Why not just try to find one that can dual-boot? Like others said things in the P3 era will do fine.
    It's due to my concern that I won't be able to find suitable drivers. I want to let automatic driver detection do its job, but if there are good dual-boot computers with easy-to-find drivers, I can go for that.
  • Why not just try to find one that can dual-boot? Like others said things in the P3 era will do fine.
    It's due to my concern that I won't be able to find suitable drivers. I want to let automatic driver detection do its job, but if there are good dual-boot computers with easy-to-find drivers, I can go for that.

Good dual boot computers? You can dual boot any computer you want. All you need is 2 hard drives (or 2 hard drive partitions) and a proper configuration of your boot loader.
  • Yep, with the right bootloader you can boot as many OSes as you want as long as you have space for them,
  • I would recommend looking around on craigslist for older dells like the dimensions 8100, 8200, 8300s. Windows 2000 should work with hyperthreading but there has been some issues. Its best to get the fastest pentium or amd and disable any hyperthreading or any multicore processing in bios and run the system in single core mode.
    Microsoft offers a patch that corrects problems with machines that operates on hardware faster than 1ghz.
    Link below shows details.

http://thpc.info/dual/xp2knt/95b95cfix.html
  • I've got an older P3 Gateway laying in my closet if you want it. Free if you pay shipping.
  • I guess this clears all the questions I have.
    Josh wrote:
    I've got an older P3 Gateway laying in my closet if you want it. Free if you pay shipping.
    Well, I am interested, but there are two problems: I live in Singapore (not really a prob, just a concern if the PC can be shipped), and I have to convince my parents really hard it's not just a waste of space. I found interesting programs that are compatible with the system. What are the specs?
  • A P3-era or P2-era ThinkPad may be a good idea. They're reasonably compact, high-quality, and vintage.
  • T2* series were excellent. Mine's still around somewhere, the thing's built like a tank.
  • Some 7 years ago, at work, we had Optiplex GX270s running Win2k. Good machines to run 2k / XP.
  • I would like to get two old computers that can run Windows NT4 Workstation and Windows 2000 Professional each. My opinion is that these two OSes are left behind when people discuss old Windows versions;

Win2k can be installed on machines fabricated in 2005-6 (for 5-6 years I used a Toshiba A110 laptop with win2k and linux)

[NT 3.51 was the best Microsoft ever had]