Descent (the first one) :)

Ok to all those who played Descent this is for you. Out of all the music from different levels (before they recycle the tracks and start over) which level did you think had the coolest music?. For me it was level 8. (sigh) I had so much fun playing that game. As a matter of fact I still play it on my AMD 166 and
P133. I discovered about 8 years ago that it sounds best on at least an
AWE32/64. I actually picked up an awe64 2 days ago for my 166. I had forgot how much fun I used to have. Also the fact that I can play it again on a machine that for running d1 would have been considered uber. Ah well I'm rambling sorry bout that. Does anyone have a copy of descent? I am up for getting some multiplayer action going again. If anyone is interested KAHNCC
is now free so anyone can play over the net and the game is tricked into believing it is on a ipx connection.

Comments, questions and general info are welcome.

Comments

• For the longest time I had a copy of Descent 1 and 2 and never got the sound to work because all I had at the time was a 386 and a 486 that were no faster then 40MHz and ran slow as heck. When I finaly got a Am486 DX4 100MHz CPU Descent ran great and the sound was so cool. The music on level 8 is bad ass.
  • http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download ... 2.php?id=4

Shareware version. Only run it on a 166MHz, I just ran it on a 1.4GHz, and your ship is like a fucking pimp mobile... It bounces up and down so fast, and the bots are just whipping around like nothing Ive seen before...

Im lookng for Descent 3, hell, we can call it abandonware, since the company that made it (Interplay) went under I think.
  • Cool! lets try it with my 1337version of the SoundBlaster AWE64, the GOLD edition :P

I think I have the full version somewhere. Lemme check.
  • I have an ISO of Descent 2. I could upload it for those who might want to play. I can also image the expansion for d2. I for one want some d2 action as I never got the chance to play it multiplayer.
    Anyone interested?

EDIT: I also have d1.
  • Well I have the full version of Descent one and two. I can always zip the floppys and also descent 2 I got for free from PCXL.
  • Yep I have them as well.
    In fact Descent can run using DOSBox. :)... Ah DOSBox.

DOSBox is an MS-DOS Emulator for new Computers and OSes like Windows XP that are compatible with the programs from the old OS systems or have the soundcards that were compatible with the old systems.

Also Sound is supported since we emulate SB-SB16, GUS (using GUS Drivers installed onto the HD, you need to get the installation files from a website), PC Speaker, Tandy, Adlib, CMS Gameblaster, MPU-401 (General Midi). I think that's it so far.

It needs a fast computer to run basically any new computer nowdays or since I suppose 2 years ago are usually good too. Since that's what mine is and it runs quite well.

It is an opensource program for people to use freely. Mostly it started to run old MSDOS games but now you can run some Apps in it because of continue support on making it a near to true MS-DOS Emulator.

The neat thing is that Windows 3.1 can run in it. I also got sound to work and played a couple rounds of Minesweeper and Soliatire. I didn't do anything much else though so I don't know how compatible everything is with it "yet". :p

Official Versions are available at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net but I don't recommend using them mostly because they are quite old now.
    CVS Versions that are not recommended to be used but great support a much wider range of programs now are available at http://mypixels.dk/forums of which I maintain.
  • Descent I and II fucking own. I loved those games.

The cutscenes back in the day on my P120 were some of the most amazing graphics I'd seen on my computer. LOL
  • http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/download2.php?id=4

Shareware version. Only run it on a 166MHz, I just ran it on a 1.4GHz, and your ship is like a fucking pimp mobile... It bounces up and down so fast, and the bots are just whipping around like nothing Ive seen before...

OK, I'm running it on a P4 3.06/1.6 just to see.
  • Both Descent I and II are available for download from the Classic Gaming Archive ( www.cgarchive.com ).
  • If anyone wants I can make iso images of d1 & d2. I would really like to play online sometime. Also if anyone has win9x d1 will run. I played with the memory settings in win98se and d1 runs with no problems.
    Also of note, the d1 cd has a bunch of levels from the "levels of the world"
    contest. I have a third d2 cd with it's expansion and the mission builder 2 as well. Kahn is free now so if anyone wants it the homepage is www.kahncentral.net.