compaq cq50 laptop help

edited April 2015 in Hardware
I was given a compaq presario cq50 laptop. It work great it just didn't have a power supply or hard drive, I took it apart to clean the fan and dust out of it. After i put it back together it won't turn on. If i leave the top cover and keyboard off with the screws out it will turn on. But once you push down on the top it will go off and won't turn on until you unplug it and plug it back in and make sure the top cover is not on tight. So i am lost. I check to see if something is shorting out and didn't see anything. Hope someone would have a idea or ran into the before. Thank you for the help.

Comments

• I narrow it down to where the power button is. When i put the 3 screws that hold down the plastic piece with the power button in it and the 3 screws that hold down the keyboard it won't turn on. If you push down on the plastic piece with the power button it will shut off and won't turn on until you take out the power plug from the laptop and put it back in. I can't see where it's shorting out. There no metal there to short out on. There is just plastic. So hope someone may think what it maybe.
  • got it fix. The laptop bows in the center and the spot on the case that is molded for the battery shorts out with the metal that on the top piece of plastic. So i covered the mold part of the plastic where the battery goes with plastic tape and it all works now.