Raspberry Pi

Does anyone own one? I recently got one.

The Raspberry Pi is a small computer for beginner programmers to 'put the fun back into learning about computing'. It comes with Raspbian OS, which is based off of Debian.

Does anyone own it?

Comments

• I have one, but I don't have any hdmi displays.
  • I want to get one.....
  • dosbox wrote:
    I have one, but I don't have any hdmi displays.

Use the RCA port then.
  • A Raspberry Pi is one of those things I want but never get around to buying.
  • I'm thinking of buying one for a project.
  • Lol, I got one for Christmas from my parents. Going to find myself some microSD cards for it first.... It is a Model B+.
  • Own one.
    Pretty useless right now.
  • I want the older Model B. I want the composite video
  • dosbox wrote:
    I have one, but I don't have any hdmi displays.

Use the RCA port then.

I could, but I couldn't see shit on my old tv that is in my room. The font is very blurry.
  • I could not recommend RCA / Standard Def output for this reason.

Try with a HDMI->DVI adapter?
  • stitch wrote:
    I could not recommend RCA / Standard Def output for this reason.

Try with a HDMI->DVI adapter?

I have no displays with DVI. My two only working computer moniters connect to VGA ports only.
  • Can't you get a HDMI to DVI and then a DVI to VGA? But yet I guess the quality would be crap and it isnt exactly the best setup but it could work
  • I tried that once and there was too much resistance for the monitor to get a signal.
  • PCNerd2014 wrote:
    Can't you get a HDMI to DVI and then a DVI to VGA? But yet I guess the quality would be crap and it isnt exactly the best setup but it could work

In theory, if someone made an adapter that could do it.

But the thing you have to keep in mind when going from DVI to VGA is that the DVI connector has to have the analog pins (and they have to actually be connected to something). Those little passive DVI-to-VGA adapters you get won't do the job alone. You're going from a digital signal to an analog signal, so you're going to need an active device providing the translation.

DVI+Connectors.JPG
  • Active DVI-D -> VGA adapters exist although they're highly expensive, probably more than the pi itself, and the image quality sucks.
  • Would be better if they used a display port that had analog and digital.
  • I've got an old B Rev 2. 512Mb ram... my phone has more memory than that.
    I originally inteded to Bitcoin mine with it, but then prices fell, and are falling, and the money made would never even pay for power use.
    Now it just sits there, although I may use it for a basic Apache server when I get time.
  • Had 1, but gave in to my nefyew. Bought things for it @ 'car-boot': power suply, powered 4-way USB, TV & sound leads, USB key-board &c. memory card from shop in town. Don't think he's done any-thing + it, so may buy it back. Found on web-site, can emulate XT (8088).
  • Well, the new Raspberry Pi came out. Has anyone got it?
    The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is the second generation Raspberry Pi. It replaced the original Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ in February 2015. Compared to the Raspberry Pi 1 it has:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
    1GB RAM
    Like the (Pi 1) Model B+, it also has:

4 USB ports
    40 GPIO pins
    Full HDMI port
    Ethernet port
    Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
    Camera interface (CSI)
    Display interface (DSI)
    Micro SD card slot
    VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
    Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10 (see the blog for more information).

The Raspberry Pi 2 has an identical form factor to the previous (Pi 1) Model B+ and has complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1.

We recommend the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for use in schools: it offers more flexibility for learners than the leaner (Pi 1) Model A+, which is more useful for embedded projects and projects which require very low power.

It was a really bad time for me to get the original Pi.
  • Yeah, but it just sits on my desk, components gathering dust since mine never came with a case

Damn eBay
  • I'm typing this from my Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+. It is sluggish, but works fine for watching YouTube videos and surfing WinWorld with Midori. I installed Raspbian with NOOBS, and it works fine. It even has Minecraft! Yay! I also installed OpenTTD on it, slow, but very fun!
  • Just found out you can run Windows 10 on the newer raspberry pi 2.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/796217 ... windows-10
  • I've said this a lot, it's basically a Server Core type deal for deploying small projects (usually "internet of things" type)