Keyboards

edited May 2015 in Hardware
Much like socks, many disregard keyboards unless they absolutely suck. So what's your keyboard? Why did you choose it? Any notes you'd like to share about it?

My current primary keyboard is SteelSeries 6Gv2 with sound dampening rubber rings (I don't like people, but I still try to act nice). One night I decided I want to upgrade my keyboard, preferably to mechanical one. I did far too much research, ended up with two primary choices: Razer Blackwidow (second cheapest variation) and SteelSeries Apex Raw (I know, it's not even mechanical). I got fed up with reviews, it became clear that the choice couldn't be made by watching videos, so I headed to check local stores.

Only keyboard I found that I was even barely able to try out was this 6Gv2, in a dusty box that looked like it had spent last two years in storage. It was withing the price range, I had watched some videos about it, felt somewhat nice... so in overall good enough. I haven't regretted it. Once you get used to the heavy switches (and retarded enter) it's a really nice keyboard to type with (especially if you don't know any better).

Comments

• I own and use two keyboards at the moment, an Apple wired USB keyboard and a Logitech PS/2 keyboard. I got the Apple one for free and the Logitech one I think was a walmart special I got 5-7 years ago. The Apple keyboard doesnt feel as good as the Logitech, the Logitech just has a slightly better typing feel to it.

One of these days, I hope to get a good keyboard for once. I was considering getting a Unicomp keyboard since I am a big fan of mechancial keyboards and I love the feel of the buckling spring keyswitch.
  • An HP keyboard. There's not much to say about it, I see no point in getting a new one. It does it's job.

Has anyone used the Microsoft Surface touch keyboards? They're terrible. I would get regular keyboard for the Surface, if I had one.
  • I have an XArmor U9+ keyboard which features Cherry MX Blue switches. I previously used the Natural Keyboard 4000+ but would have a hard time going back after spending extensive time on a mechanical keyboard.
  • Nan-Tan KB-6451EA clickey AT keyboard. Real ALPS sliders, and It has the function keys on the left where they belong.
  • I have a Microsoft Keyboard 800. Worst keyboard I've ever used, to the extent that it almost gave me carpal tunnel syndrome.
  • I have an old HP internet keyboard. Most of the macro buttons don't work, and the driver breaks the OS.
  • I'm using a Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Brown switches.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I'm using a Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Have you ever tried anything with blues and noticed any difference other than audible sound?
  • stitch wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    I'm using a Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Have you ever tried anything with blues and noticed any difference other than audible sound?

Yes. The keyboard I had before this one had blue switches.

Besides the sound, it definitely feels different. I have to be a little more deliberate with my key presses on brown switches vs blue. Which is why I went with the brown switches when I got my new keyboard. I found I was making a lot of typos on the blue switches, mostly a lot of repeated key strokes because the key was still pressed even though I had let up off the key.

The blues definitely have a more satisfying click than the browns, but both are still way better than a rubber dome keyboard.
  • Mine are local-mades. I have two which are meh, and other two which I'm using on two PCs and happy with them.

One is called Touchmate, and one is Sakher (Rock in arabic) which is a localized version of an IBM keyboard. I recall seeing its original version somewhere but can't remember the model. It's quite old though (early 90s).
  • I'm using an ancient Microsoft Media Keyboard, prior to that I had two Comfort Curve 2000 keyboards which I rather liked.

I don't care for mechanical keyboards, normal keys make more than enough noise for me and they are pricey.

I refuse to spend more than $20 on something that will likely have water/pop/ash/dirt/etc dumped on it at least a couple times in it's lifespan. My second, wired Comfort Curve survived two direct spills - once when somebody decided to dump ~1L of water on it and the second I tipped over a glass of juice. It was also used to inadvertently crack somebody in the nose at one point. Durable.
  • My K70 has one spill under its belt already... I'm happy to say it survived it. It happened shortly after I bought it too, which really pissed me off.

It's exceptionally rare for me to spill something on my keyboard. In fact, it's happened only twice in my life that I can recall. The first time was water on the first keyboard I ever owned. It would have survived it just fine if I hadn't taken it apart and tried to dry it out that way. Later on, I put it back together the right way and got some more use out of it, but it started showing some quirky behavior...
  • I typically drink strictly water at my computers so that if I spill it on the keyboard, I only have to disconnect the keyboard and let it dry for a day, though I havent had a spill in several years.
  • Z-board Merc. Bought it at BestBuy a few years back. Glad that steelseries brought the keyboard back and released a updated macro editor. I want to get a mechanical keyboard.
  • Duff wrote:
    I'm using an ancient Microsoft Media Keyboard, prior to that I had two Comfort Curve 2000 keyboards which I rather liked.
    Comfort Curve is what made me prefer Microsoft keyboards for the last 8 years. I got the chance to try one and soon got one for myself. Microsoft has some new, interesting curve designs that I'd love to try out, but you can only use so many keyboards at once.
    Mine are local-mades.
    I'd love to see some pictures of your out of the ordinary -keyboards.
  • I'm using this 1 that says 'Gateway' on it. Got it when working @ charity shop. 'cos it has orange plug instead of green 1. Along + mouse + black 1. Now if some 1 sets up my computer, they can't just put same colours of plugs to sockets, ;-)
    & any-way, it = good heavy 1.
  • I personally prefer a good old IBM Model M. Although I would like to find the adapter that allows you to use a Commodore 64 keyboard as USB.
  • I use a regular built-in Lenovo 101-key Laptop keyboard

Sure, it's missing its Irish letters, but they can be input, so it gets the job done.
  • The Commodore 64 keyboard will always be the greatest keyboard ever. But it's staying right where it belongs(in my C=64, obviously).
  • I beg to differ.