Website Down/Possible Blocking

edited May 2015 in Site Issues
I recently (from 1 month ago to about 1 week ago) had massive problems accessing the WinWorldPC pages. I checked with a lot of "Is it down" sites and for most of them WinWorldPC was reported as being down. Was it a problem with my internet (I'm in Australia) or was the whole site down for a prolonged period of time? Firefox was occasionally able to seemingly connect to the server for some of the pages however although it reported as being connected and waiting it hung on me. I could still access Google and most of the other sites. Also, the Library page doesn't load correctly some of the time. It fails to show any of the categories or other information relating to how the site actually is. It just displays the background, top bar and the box that says "Library".

Sorry if it's a problem with my connection. I just wasn't sure whether it was genuine downtime or if my internet was completely borked and my ISP had DNS caching issues. Also, I know that this was asked and answered by stitch in another thread but I kinda want the FTP server look back. I was able to connect to some of the ftp mirrors - ftp://wdl1/2.winworldpc.com - but none of the logins would successfully log in for me.

Comments

• We had periods of outages due to server problems. Our main mirror is still offline, so some bugs are bound to pop up.

As stated before, FTP access to the library servers for downloads isn't available to the general public.
  • We have *never* had an FTP server. We had some httpd based download listings but why do you need that back? All it does is help people download tons of shit that they will never use and waste the bandwidth.
  • There were a few days when Winworld was inaccessible, but that was a while back. If I recall correctly, there were a few days as the end of March, and again a few days at the end of April. There haven't been any issues with that the last couple of weeks.
    jl91569 wrote:
    Also, the Library page doesn't load correctly some of the time. It fails to show any of the categories or other information relating to how the site actually is. It just displays the background, top bar and the box that says "Library".
    It sounds like you are also having connection issues of some sort on your end.

Still, thanks for trying to visit Winworld :D
  • Seems to be working somewhat faster now. Thanks for all of the replies. Also, some more information is that according to some of the websites which I checked, WinWorldPC.com returned a HTTP 301 permanently moved reply. Could be because of SSL?
  • Some library bugs are likely our end not yours, speeds on the other hand I am unsure of.

WinWorld, or rather the server sofware, nginx, is set to return a 301 error/redirect to any normal HTTP requests on port 80 so client browsers are forced to use SSL. Normal browsers should transparently redirect you and not display a message, that's part the reason for using a 301 Permanently Moved redirect instead of a URL rewrite. I'd gladly look at the link of the 'checking tool' you're using to verify.

Note that for now this only applies to the main site and the forums, our download servers are not using SSL/TLS for the time being.